Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS auto selector issue

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais RB25 turbo, VS Calais
Hey guys i've got a VS calais thats had a VT motor and transmission put in (I bought it like that) and lately
I have been having problems with it's gear selections.

The T-bar seems to be working fine, I just have to hold the selector forward to start it and as soon as I take
pressure off it, it engages reverse.

I put a new inhibitor switch in and there's no difference. The little pin on the end of the T-bar looks to be pointing forwards a bit,
is that normal or should it be straight? It's about the only thing I can think of..

Cheers in advance

Eggy995

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 3.8L Ecotec VS Commodore S
mines never done that, then again mines never had transmission mods or anything either :p but seems out because isnt VT motor and transmission the same???

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
sounds like the selector linkage under the car is adjusted wrong.. possibly the pressure of the trans trying to be in reverse when it should be in park is pulling the shifter back and tripping the park/neutral switch, i'm running a vt trans in a vn and it works like any other vn-vs (doubt it'd have the vt linkage rod in it, it's a different length and i doubt it'd fit).

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
How do I adjust that? I've got a repair manual, so if it's in there i'll be right. And is the VT linkage rod way different or could it have been made to fit instead of using the VS one?

The worst thing about it is if I don't hold forward, once the car starts it starts reversing straight away. If I push it forward while I start it it's fine. It doesn't take any pressure to hold it in park. It's mainly just really annoying atm.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
it's easy to adjust and yes it's in most service manuals.

Get it up on ramps or better jack up the diff and put axle stands under it, chock the wheels that are on the ground.
You'll be moving the trans out of park while you're under there and definitely don't want it rolling back if you just move the front wheel up on ramps (i would never trust a commodore park brake)

Undo the bolt that secures the linkage from the trans to the rod (not the one on the side of the trans)

You should now be able to move the linkage on the side of the trans, click in into P (run through the range from 1 to P) best with the rear wheel off the ground and able to turn because you can definitely be sure you have it in park as the tail shaft won't turn.

Now make sure the selector if the furthest forward it'll go and lock it in P.

Get under and do the locking bolt back up.
You may need to pop the center console cover up and realign the facia so that it's showing the correct gear.

And done.

VN-VS is not hugely different from the VT/VX one except from memory the VT one is longer but the lever was the same so should move the same... I can't remember exactly as it's been a long time since i changed the trans, it would fit if it was cut shorter but shouldn't cause an issue, i'll have a scrounge around in the shed to see if i can find it and compare.

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks heaps for that man. Ill have a go at it on the weekend and see how it goes. Thanks again mate