Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Berlina, Gearbox slipping/Air-con Blower Woes/Slow starter Motor

Mike_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi, I've spent many hours ironing out all the little issues with my berlina, its been a nightmare at times, But I've basically got it all except for,
1. When its cold, the torque converter isnt getting the power to the transmission. I've had the gearbox serviced and the mechanic says its tip top. It was behaving when he drove it but just this morning it hit 5000RPM and i was only going 20-30km/hr. The best way to explain what is happening is if it were a manual...the clutch would be buggered.

2. Hours.....and hours....of searching the internet for a solution to why the aircon will only come out of the floor vents has not helped me...and I've taken all the dash apart trying to find the issue but i just can't find any. Used to be able to give the center console next to the cd player a good hard love tap and it would work, but now nothing. I searched all around that area for any issues but couldnt find any. The control panel is functional (its climate control), the little vacuum switcher seems to be functional (makes clicking noises when control panel is changed). There doesn't seem to be any vacuum going through the lines. The vacuum pipe on the engine is definitely hooked up properly. I just dont know what else to do/where else to look. Any common known issues aside from the before mentioned ones which I've already checked?

3. The starter motor is struggling, replace? weak connection? I've put a new battery in, its not that.

I would greatly appreciate your best input as these few issues are making me a little crazy. Like the engine mount did when I had to change it. And that was really crazy. I've done enough searching I believe to warrant starting a new thread.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
first thing check for error codes, gearbox could have slipping clutches or a faulty solenoid

As for the aircon, can you get the top vents to work just with the fan? I woul dbe checking the vacuum tank that is under the front passenger guard - as this could be broken and stopping you getting any vacuum to work the dash vents - fairly common issue

have you checked the earth strap to the engine and the connection on the starter motor itself?

if they are all good it could be a dying starter motor

Mike_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
first thing check for error codes, gearbox could have slipping clutches or a faulty solenoid

As for the aircon, can you get the top vents to work just with the fan? I woul dbe checking the vacuum tank that is under the front passenger guard - as this could be broken and stopping you getting any vacuum to work the dash vents - fairly common issue

have you checked the earth strap to the engine and the connection on the starter motor itself?

if they are all good it could be a dying starter motor

Thankyou, I will check all of these.

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
The armature in the starter motor is starting to wear out. Mine did the exact same thing. I ended up frying the starter cable right at the starter motor. Put a new cable in and still slow cranking. Changed starter motor and it winds over like a trooper now.

Your gearbox is wearing out. Mine did the same when cold. They appear perfect , but as they are not adjustable , they tend to slip. How many KM are on it? at 200,000 they seem to be near the end of their workable life. Mine hit about 280,000 before needing replacing.