Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Calais Which parts will I need?

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
i have just purchased a Vs Calais 5.0ltr series 2. to cut a long story short I have a vt motor with all vt accessories (alternator, air-caon compressor, power steering pump) in the car. i want to get the air con working.
The vt compressor will not work with the vs aircon lines. The vt compressor uses a different belt and pulley set up to the vs.
What will I need to install a vs compressor and get my airon working?
Will I have to change all the pulleys and brackets back to vs stuff?
If so where can I get this stuff from? wreckers have been no help. they pretty much don't wanna know about it.
Is it possible to connect a vt compressor to a vs

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
When you say vt motor, which one. There were 4 of them?? I'll guess you hav a vt series 1 195i 5ltr. Can you just put the vt pulley on the vs compressor??

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
I'm not even sure what motor it is, how do I identify it?
After speeking with my local air con guy, they use a totally different clutch set-up.
He explained the early v8 compressor has an on off clutch
and the vt compressor is a variable speed compressor which is not compatible with vs operating system.
Thats if the advice I have been given is correct

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
As long as its the 5ltre motor were talkin about, then there shouldnt be any issue bolting you old unit on and it will fit your old hoses then. does the motor have a serpentine belt or v belts?? If its just v belts then you can just fit the old a/c v belt back on an way you go.

But this leads me to another question. How are you running a VT 5ltr with a VS ecu?? The vt 5ltr had sequential injection which wont work on the vs ecu, unless a few things on the motor have been changed. Originally i assumed you were running a VT ecu also. Maybe it a series 3 VS SS ute motor maybe?? which is the same as the vt series 1 5ltr but it had an ecu to suit the vs setup. But im not sure wether the utes had climate control, l3 dash ect.. and all that like ur calais. If they did then thats what the deal probably is then.

All that being said, you will have to run the variable compressor then cause the ecu wont be able to run the old original one. I think the best fix would be to just go to an A/c shop and have them make some adaptors up for you to fit the old lines in. Take 5 minutes, but it will cost you maybe anwhere from $50-$200 bucks depending on what they like to charge you.
You dont wanna be swapping out compressors if u can help it, they are a pain in the arse.

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
Ok now your opening up a whole other can of worms. I think it is a vt motor and I think it may have a vt wiring loom as it runs a vt alternator with a serpintine belt and I havn't noticed any mods to wiring loom to accomodate this alternater. I also noticed an airbox sensor that I don't remember being in my previous air box. will vs climate control work with a viriable speed compressor?
I did not install this motor nor did I do any of the work with it. I only purchased it 2 days ago so I'm still piecing it all together.
It doesn't have a compressor on it right now, the previous owner supplied it when I purchased the car. from memory the compressor I have has the same plug as on the wiring loom.
So first i need to know If I install the compressor I have, Will it work with vs climate control?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Bonnets, Doors, Fuards, Spoilers, Bumber Bars - ozcarparts.com.au

Have a look at the little photos here and see which motor you have. You'll more then likely have the one second from the botom im thinking. The other possiblity is you have the second one from the top. Remeber the one near the bottom is missing the engine covers so its gonna appear different without them slightly.

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
yes its definately a holden 5.0ltr. Not a 5.7.
I don't know what I have I mean, Is it out of a vt, a late vs ute, does it have vt motor and vs loom and ecu, vt motor and vt loom with vs ecu, vt motor and modified vt loom with vs ecu.
Thanks for all your help, It took me so long to get to the bottom of the last vs I had and most of the success came from trial and error and figuring out alot myself.
Helps to finally find some one with experience and willing to give advice.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Unfortunatly im not that experianced, just been around the cars a bit:) Being a vs im a little out of the water, cause they had the new ecu and i cant remember if they had a seperate bcm for some of the cab electrics like previouse models, or if its all combined in the ecu(this is where i was thinking it was likeley you had a VS S3 ecu still cause it would all plug in). The guy on here you really need to speak to is Delcowizzard, maybe pm him. He will know what you have to do.

Does your climate control turn on and appear to work at all at the moment, just minus some cold air?

The couple of vs series 3 utes i seen on car sales all had manual heater dials, which leads me to think possibly climate control wasnt an option on the vS S3 ute. Which also leads me to think you might need to swap out to a complete manual heater box setup(dash out job) which would really suck. But possibly the reason that the guy you bought it off never done it!

Last edited: