Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore Acclaim Vs. JA Starion Turbo

Which will win in a drag race

• Total voters

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yeah I know its a mitsubishi.. I dont know why the hell I wrote toyota :( I was looking up soarer times as well on the same webpage so maybe I just got them combined :p

And bravo, The 2.6 litre G54B did not make any more power than the later 2.0L engine, with the 12 valve head. The first generation, the JA, only ran an 8 valve head and is less powerful than the later generations and subsequently, the 2.6 litre engine used in the States... Also there was a difference in torque, and obviously the power curves were stronger with the 2.6 litre, however peak power remained the same between the 12 valve version of the 2.0L and the 2.6 litre, both of which are 20-40hp up on the 8 valve variant I think?

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
The First 1982 JA was faster than the later JD model. The JA is 125kw, where the JD is 115kw.

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
The reason why the JA was faster than the JD was because the JD was 'detuned' to run on unleaded petrol while the JA ran on leaded petrol. When the JA was released it was the fastest production in the world car you could buy off the showroom floor so what ever you came up against at the traffic lights the Starion would beat it. It was an RX7, Supra, 300ZX etc killer. It even gave the Porsche 924 Turbo a run for its money.

The Starion's succesor was the Mitsubishi GTO.:yeah:

The 4G-series motor that was fitted in the early Starions is now an extremly popular motor that is even fitted in some Hyundai's. (The Hyundai's got the 4G64 motor & 4G67):wax:

The Mitsubishi Starion-R (Widebody) (JD only) had the 4G54 motor (detuned)

It weighs 1340kg

They have hydraulic clutches in them.

One of my friends owns one. (JA) Its been sitting in his front yard for about 4 years & the other day we decided to start it up & it fired up first go.:w00t:

I have sourced this infomation off him but if you see anything here that could be wrong:bang: please let me know.

Also, for the reference he (my friend) has a Starion 4G63 motor & gearbox fitted in a Mazda 929. Its his sleeper project.:w00t:

My friend is also wrecking a second written off Starion if your friend who has their Starion needs any parts let me know.:thumbsup:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Well from independant reviews on the net these are the times:
1984 JA Mitsubishi Starion 2.0L 9.2 17.0
1986 JD Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R 2.6L 8.3 16.2

With Mitsubishi's official times:
However, the 125kW leaded cars were notably faster than the unleaded JD. The best of the leaded Starions leapt from standstill to 100 km/h in 8.9 seconds and stretched its legs over the quarter mile in 15.9 seconds. Back in 1982, that sort of acceleration from a 2-litre was nothing short of amazing. As expected, the unleaded car - despite having a shorter diff ratio and an intercooler - took a more leisurely 9.3 seconds to reach 100 km/h and the quarter mile time stretched to 16.5 seconds.

Either way, The VS should be quicker.

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
Id rather own the Starion than the VS anyway. Go ahead, flame me!

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Australian Starion as stated: At it's quickest 8.9 0-100 and 15.9 0 - 400m
average of times recorded for the leaded model 9.2 0 - 100 and 16.3 0-400m.

83 - 85 leaded Cordia 1.8 : 8.0 - 8.3 0-100 and 15.75 - 15.85 0 -400m.
In 1984 the Cordia was the quickest 4cyl car you could buy new and was quicker than the 944 turbo of the same year.
The Starion was the quickest four until the Cordia was released, maybe that has led to some confusion.

The JA Starion would pull 220km/h eventually and the Cordia 210km/h.
My 1985 Cordia was a over a second quicker to 100km/h than it should have been running a best ever of 6.9 but a consistent 7.1 to 100.

There are quite a few Starions getting around these days with the Magna block installed (yes they can be mounted in either direction) and a bigger turbo that supposedly go really well. I've only been told they go well I've never seen one running.

Edit: Oh yeh, the VS should win.

saint_matrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
The starion in question also has a mild cam (rather than stock)

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
With a cam it may be closer but I think a VS with extractors would still win.

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
Then why do you own a VP ute? You could quite easily sell it and buy a Starion..

The VP in my display pic is my fathers. I would love to own a Starion & i would even buy my mates & do it up but due to it being turbocharged i can not drive it on my P's. And due to the VP being a V8 i cant drive it either.