Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore Steering Wheel Controls Mod

Orgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Recently I purchased myself a new Car multimedia unit to replace my old car stereo. The unit I purchased is a Chinese brand Ouku that has a 7 inch screen, GPS, DVD player, reverse camera and provision for steering wheel remote controls. Hence reason why I have created this thread.

My VS executive did not come with steering wheel controls so have devised the following solution.

1) Replaced the existing non airbag VS steering wheel and horn ring with an airbag VS steering wheel and VS clock spring. (The clock spring is needed as it has additional wires that are required for an airbag when fitted which I have used to cable to steering wheel radio controls as I don't have an airbag). The shroud on the back of the non airbag steering wheel is different and is designed for the horn ring and not the clock spring.

2) I purchased a set of VX/VT steering wheel controls and installed them onto the new VS wheel. I cut off the red connector and replaced with a VS black connector that I scrounged from a wrecker. The same connector used for connecting the horn button switch. I also soldered a resistor onto the yellow cable. (Refer wiring diagram attached).

3) The clock spring has a yellow connector (Used to connect to the airbag when fitted) which I cut off as my vehicle does not have an airbag. I soldered a standard black VS connector as used for the horn connection that I scrounged from a wrecker. This is what I connected to the VT/VX steering controls.

4) While the horn pad was off I decided to replace it with a Horn pad from a VT/VX commodore which I think is much nicer. (I carefully removed the airbag detonator).

5) The Ouku unit requires signals from the steering wheel switches which are less than 5 volts. Each button must send a different different voltage. This was achieved by using a standard USB charger and a modified USB cable with resistors soldered inline. (Refer to wiring diagram for point of connection to the steering wheel switches). Each of the VT/VX switches has a different resistor associated with it which is how the different voltages is able to be achieved. I have detailed in the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 3,181
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 4,899
  • Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 15,446

Jaai

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Executive S1
hey dude, i have a real quick question. it doesnt have anything todo with the steering wheel. awesome mod tho.
your aircon controls, hows you get the light so even? ive got blue globes in mine but they are very uneven.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Orgman,
I think you just won the internet.
A clever but simple solution to a complex problem.
Brilliant work!

Orgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey Jaai, Sorry for the late reply as I haven't been on the forum for a long time. To answer you question I made my own board and soldered some LED globes. Refer pics.

IMAG0131[1].jpgIMAG0130[1].jpgIMAG0157[1].jpg

Last edited:

xchaser

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore acclam
Hey mate quick question where did you get the blue lights for your ac and other buttons. Cheers