Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs computer

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
Decided to to try another computer

The one in it has BWPJ 16241628 on it.

There is another one around (on ebay) and it has BSTK 16231448.

Am bidding on the one with the right letters and numbers but was wondering if they are interchangeable.

And if one is better than the other.

The reason for trying another is had a fuel consumption enhancement program put on the existing one a few years ago. Recently it has started to miss going up a hill. Put your foot down and it comes good but I presume it is running a little lean.

Decided it was an easy to try another computer as go to a holden dealer to get the computer reprogrammed.

The enhancement program did work a bit on trips. But it seemed to use more fuel before operating temp was reached.

Anybody know anything about this sort of thing?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The VS BSTK ECU memcal was replaced by the BTXP memcal for cold hesitation and pinging problems.As far as I know this is only the memcal which clips in inside the ECU, under the metal cover.Not the whole ECU itself.Ive actually had problems when trying to use a newer VS memcal in my VS which has the BSTK memcal fitted.When a newer memcal is fitted,the oxygen sensor readings just about stop altogether or are very low,but are fine with the BSTK memcal.It will also set error code 76 and 78 with the later memcals.I tune my own memcals,and have been trying to find out what the go is with this,but no one seems to know why it does it..Theres supposed to be an earthing problem with the VS V6 oxygen sensors,but Ive tried the earth fix and there is no difference in the readings at all,so I doubt its that .If your car came with a later memcal than the BSTK,dont go back to it,use the newer VS ones like BTXP or BWPJ.If your car came with the BSTK memcal,then you might have the same oxygen sensor trouble that Im having if you try to fit the newer memcal.Also Ive never had a cold hesitation or pinging from the BSTK memcal.

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
The VS BSTK ECU memcal was replaced by the BTXP memcal for cold hesitation and pinging problems.As far as I know this is only the memcal which clips in inside the ECU, under the metal cover.Not the whole ECU itself.Ive actually had problems when trying to use a newer VS memcal in my VS which has the BSTK memcal fitted.When a newer memcal is fitted,the oxygen sensor readings just about stop altogether or are very low,but are fine with the BSTK memcal.It will also set error code 76 and 78 with the later memcals.I tune my own memcals,and have been trying to find out what the go is with this,but no one seems to know why it does it..Theres supposed to be an earthing problem with the VS V6 oxygen sensors,but Ive tried the earth fix and there is no difference in the readings at all,so I doubt its that .If your car came with a later memcal than the BSTK,dont go back to it,use the newer VS ones like BTXP or BWPJ.If your car came with the BSTK memcal,then you might have the same oxygen sensor trouble that Im having if you try to fit the newer memcal.Also Ive never had a cold hesitation or pinging from the BSTK memcal.

Hey I have have a VS V6 in a Hilux with dual fuel & I seem to have some sort of problem with the oxygen sensors giving incorrect readings as well - Its always been bad on fuel since I got it. So I put it on LPG & it still used fuel on LPG - so I removed the LPG computer & tuned it manually & finally I got something out of it. I had mixtures checked on a wide band setup & its running 15.5 & if my sensors where reading right - it should be in the middle of the scale of the meter that I have - but they are not - they just read lean as. I replaced exhaust manifold gaskets - had the exhaust checked for leaks when I replaced a muffler recently. I have done the earth fix as well - they seem to operate quite well - I have a Carman scan tool & I can read waveforms & they are doing everything right.
The only thing left is too replace them - but I cant understand why they need replacement if they are putting out a good waveform..
I am running a dual map memcal & a 3.7 diff ratio - I am after someone to do a tune & allow for the diff ratio change if you or someone else could do it - I am happy to pay something in return. If you have any ideas I would appreciate some help.

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON

Thanks for your detailed answer, Brett. Owe you one. I'll make sure I get a BWPJ.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
CKUL is the next memcal revision after BWPJ which mainly only had updates for the newer transmissions which changed a heap of settings and shift timing. Id just stick with your stock BWPJ tune, to check if it's stock pull the blue memcal chip out of the ecu and take the blue cap off, if it has a silver looking sticker on it with BWPJ then it should be stock tune. If you want a reburn there plenty of people like Dr bob, delcowizzid and myself that could reburn a stock chip again if you wanted.

Have you checked your leads, plugs and coils, these can cause a miss.

bpefi just checkout one of those jaycar kits to adjust the speed sensor, then use a gps or something with speed to adjust it right.

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
CKUL is the next memcal revision after BWPJ which mainly only had updates for the newer transmissions which changed a heap of settings and shift timing. Id just stick with your stock BWPJ tune, to check if it's stock pull the blue memcal chip out of the ecu and take the blue cap off, if it has a silver looking sticker on it with BWPJ then it should be stock tune. If you want a reburn there plenty of people like Dr bob, delcowizzid and myself that could reburn a stock chip again if you wanted.

bpefi just checkout one of those jaycar kits to adjust the speed sensor, then use a gps or something with speed to adjust it right.

I suppose I should try a set of leads but when you put your foot down going up a hill and it becomes another car, my reckoning has been the diagnosis I've done. I suppose I should take it to the local holden garage. They are usually o'k. But I am impressed by the knowledge on this forum.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Fair enough, i guess if you have a multimeter check the leads and coil packs resistances to see for anything obvious or try a spare set if you have one.

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON

It was a lead. (red face) Funny how it was only noticed under light load at about 90 km/h

The new computer is around about the same for fuel consumption to. Interesting experience all round.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
yeh they can break down in all sorts of varying conditions, the only fuel consumption noticeable would be by running an older tune which has more spark advance, the new tunes they dulled down a heap, you can use a newer tune with changed advanced spark, would increase power slightly if you used 95/98ron with it. If you want to check what version memcals were made for your ECU/PCM and car checkout this program, Memcal ID

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
yeh they can break down in all sorts of varying conditions, the only fuel consumption noticeable would be by running an older tune which has more spark advance, the new tunes they dulled down a heap, you can use a newer tune with changed advanced spark, would increase power slightly if you used 95/98ron with it. If you want to check what version memcals were made for your ECU/PCM and car checkout this program, Memcal ID

It was actually bluechip from this forum who did fuel consumption stuff. I think it was better on a long trip. Got 34.5 mpg with a loaded car on the Newell Hiway once. He had the computer kick in at a lower temp. I think it begins at 58 degrees on the regular tune. And was more tolerant of speed change sucking petrol up. I think it was worse until the temp got up and around town no different. I'll check out your link but I'm a bit of a slow learner on this stuff. I date back to having an FE, second hand as it was. (if you know what one of those was.)