Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Coolant leaking from gearbox area

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
insurance renewal reckons the car is valued at $2500.
Id ask the insurance company where you can buy a roadworthy car for $2500? I think you'll be spending closer to $5k to replace the commodore. Get liability only the $2500 is piss in the pool these days.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
I’d never sell it anyways, Ive had it for 20yrs,been a lot of places,done a lot of things,spent bugger all on it ,it’s been really reliable,only ever had it to the mechanics once when I first had it,crossfire in the plug leads,didn’t know what it was as I wasn’t familiar with it at that stage.It’s like a close family member. I still have fully comprehensive insurance,it was bugger all difference for 3rd party.

Reactions: Lex

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
On mine it was the flex plate. Whole transmission had to come off.

Title is a bit confusing. You mean it's leaking inside the car? When the heater core went on the VS, coolant was dripping on the carpet by my feet. That's easy to repair, at on a VS:

Remove console surround
Cut heater core off
Attach rubber hoses with clamps. 1 to secure new heater core. 1 to secure pipe running through the firewall.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Flex plate leaked coolant?

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I'm no mechanic, so whatever you call it?. All I know is some plate in the gearbox had rusted out & coolant was leaking from the transmission. One day it just gave up & the drip became a puddle. Didn't even know until I parked the car. Damage to the head gasket was probably done at that time too.
Moral of the story - get it fixed asap. Never rely on the check engine light.

zx7rtas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5SPD WAGON
On mine it was the flex plate. Whole transmission had to come off.

Title is a bit confusing. You mean it's leaking inside the car? When the heater core went on the VS, coolant was dripping on the carpet by my feet. That's easy to repair, at on a VS:

Remove console surround
Cut heater core off
Attach rubber hoses with clamps. 1 to secure new heater core. 1 to secure pipe running through the firewall.
Coolant seems To be leaking above the gearbox and running down onto the ground.I have noticed that the footrest beside the clutch pedal has some sort of oily splatter over it.Carpet on passengers side also seems to be wet from time to time,I just thought it was due to the door seal coming away from the frame and leaking during rainy weather.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Fu & Immortality are usually pretty good at diagnosing this sort of thing, so at least you have the best people on the case.
Get a mechanic you can trust to put it on a hoist. I went through RAC mechanical repairs & it ended up costing a fortune ($2k)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Coolant seems To be leaking above the gearbox and running down onto the ground.I have noticed that the footrest beside the clutch pedal has some sort of oily splatter over it.Carpet on passengers side also seems to be wet from time to time,I just thought it was due to the door seal coming away from the frame and leaking during rainy weather.
That does point to the heater core.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Replacing the rear engine plate cost me $1645 back in 2020.
What parts were included in that. I just spent $1100 on labour replacing the plate, engine mounts, hoses and a sump gasket on an LS. Makes me feel like I got a pretty good deal.

Last core I had replaced was about $900 including the core. A core in a Gen II is something that can be done at home if you have time and patience.

I pulled a heater box from a wreck to use in my VR but paid the tech to fit it, which he did in a day. Evap was replaced too because it was only $180 more. It was a matted mess of hair, fluff and leaves, which I found out was effecting the way the AC worked, which I never knew until it was replaced. With new evap the AC was freezing, way better than my VE is.

looseunit

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vs statesman l67 50th anniversary
i no that on the supercharged L67, passenger side rear of engine there's a thermostat housing with a U shaped hose, mine was leaking slowly then just burst, prick of a spot