Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS cutting out problem

Ruttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hope you guys can help 'cause my VS is about to become a square block with glass on top as a coffee table... My VS is duel fuel (Holden fitted LPG). Whilst driving on gas the car will cut out. Sometimes it restart but most times won't for around 2 hours, then kicks over first go. I don't know if it's connected but I have killed 3 fuel pumps in the past 8 months (2 fitted by me and the last by professionals). Anyway back to the gas... There is no rhyme or reason as to when it will cut out. I have so far been told Gas Computer, car computer, petrol/gas switch, gas safety switch, timing (Causing flooding), vacuum, electrical short, bad earth.

So far I have fitted new leads, used MAF spray on the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, placed extra earths on various gas system parts, I have been told if the gas safety switch is faulty it gets very hot so when the car dies I have check both safety switches (Under bonnet and on the tank). I have checked as much of the wiring as possible (Which goes up from the tank and passed the back seat to the front via the floor).

To replace everything I have been told "Could" be the problem would cost more than the car is worth... I but I hate to get rid of it only to find it was a relay or something simple.. So any advice would be great... Thanx

workvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute / ve thunder
Have you done a code check. ? Could be crank Angle sensor.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Sounds like CAS..
Fuel pump is probably overheating and killing itself when the fuel being used is gas.. May need to hook up a relay or something to switch the fuel pump off.

Swathe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V6 Supercharged
Another vote for Crank Angle Sensor. Next time it stops pour some cool water over the sensor. If it fires up then you'll know it's the CAS for sure.

Ruttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Thanx everyone, I will get the codes read to see what comes up. The cutting out happens more on short trips, only on LPG (Because of the dead petrol pump). Gas system does cut off petrol pump when running on gas but fuel pump dies when running on petrol.... The car drove from Victoria to Queensland and petrol pump died in Sydney, drove the rest of the way on LPG with no problems. It then cut out 3 times during a week of driving around, but then drove back to Victoria in one go without any problems....