Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ecotec V6 in my 1928 Ford street rod - some questions

28_Ford

Reaction score
Members Ride
1928 Ford
Hi all,
This is an awesome sight, I have spent a great deal of time surfing through the many threads, good to see people helping people when it's needed. :cool:
I know this is not exactly a Commodore, but after reading through many threads on this forum (and learning a lot I must add :cool:), I have a few questions regarding the V6 that I have installed into my street rod project.

1. I am fitting 28 inch tyres to the rear (typical hotrod sized rear tyre), can I use a Carman scan tool to make the changes to the PPK setting to ensure the speedo remains calibrated to show correct road speed;

2. Will the increase in tyre size affect the functionality of the transmission (shift points etc); and

3. I have retained the BCM as I want some of the functionality that it offers (door lock solenoids). I have removed the speed alert unit from the loom, will this impact on any of the PCM settings.

I have trimmed the loom down so that it now fits into the confines of what use to be the fuel tank on a 28 Model A Ford. With a Model A been approx 500kg lighter than the donor VS it come out of, kt should give fuel economy combined with a better than average power-to-weight ratio.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated

Cheers, 28 Ford
:)

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
not sure about the scan tool but you could use the speedo corrector kit that jaycar does, this intercepts the signal going to the speedo

Could also try over on delcohacking as there are some very clever guys reprogramming the delco ECU's

workvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute / ve thunder
Pictures. Now. :)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Use a jaycar speedo correcter to adjust speedo calibration for your wheels etc.

Just make sure you wire the speedo corrector in after the ECU not at the speedo wire at the cluster, if you do it at the cluster it will only calibrate the speedo and not the shift points and it will feel sloppy and gutless (I am currently in the same boat due to a diff ratio change)

28_Ford

Reaction score
Members Ride
1928 Ford
Here's a couple of pics..:)

02102012174_zpsc77c6116.jpg

09Sep12-FuelampBrakelines02_zps00ddd8af.jpg

28_Ford

Reaction score
Members Ride
1928 Ford
I am going to be using some aftermarket gauges (newvintage instruments in a 30's style), which comes with the programmable electronic speedo.
I'll have a look at the delcohacking site to confirm the need to adjust PPK settings and sorting shift points
thanks so far guys!!!

Iman

VZ SSZ Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Not sure if this helps or not.

Last edited by a moderator: