Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Engine Dies at normal running temperature

ORIXVywags

Max stunners on the train
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Acclaim,VR Acclaim,VS Ute,VS Berlina Wagon
Hi guys

BIG PROBLEM - 1996 VS V6 Equipe Auto Sedan 153000kms

I was driving home the other day on the Hume Hwy from Goulburn and the car seemed to be running fine, until I got to the Picton road Exit, and it just felt like it lost all power and conked out, I lucky was able to maintain momentum and get over onto the side of the road

I had no idea what happened, I ended up walkin about 3kms back to pheasants nest twin Mobil servo for me to meet my brother there.

We went back to the car, try starting it, and it worked fine

What the Hell, so starting driving, but got to Narrellen Road, lost all power, so I back right off the accelerater, the engine didnt cut out, I let it sit, engine still running, and then bit the bullet and kept going,

made it to Heathcote Road on the M5, before we gave up and car trailered it home

I did an error code check - 12 every time

I was check out here on j/c what it might be, and people said CAS,

So changed that

and It worked, running fine, didnt drive it, I turned it off, and it would just continuously crank, but not start, sometimes it would almost but no full start

What the hell could it be, I need my car back on the road

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
My daughter had this same problem in her VR and VT and in both cases a new fuel pump fixed it. So that is one possibility

ORIXVywags

Reaction score
Members Ride
But would it be the fact the Pump it just buggered, because as soon as I let it sit for about 1 hour she starts and goes again.... not for long thou

I havent replace that yet but I will

I have Replaced the following
Both Keys
Valley Gaskets
Rocker Gaskets
Exhaust
IAC Valve
TPS
Injectors (Cleaned)
All the Bushes
3x Coil Pack (replaced with MSD's)
10mm Top Gun Leads
Both O2 Sensors
All 6 Plugs
Engine Mounts
the List Gos on, I will put them on here when I can remember the rest of the stuff

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
But would it be the fact the Pump it just buggered, because as soon as I let it sit for about 1 hour she starts and goes again.... not for long thou
In her VR it would cut out when warm at first and then it got progressively worse where it was difficult to start even when cold. The VT just cut out every time they drove it but would start again. Both cars are running fine now. It might not be your problem but it just could be. I guess the pumps fail to deliver enough pressure once they start to wear out.

ORIXVywags

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm, I think it could be the pump, maybe it just burning itself out, all my driving it all highway, so over the 80kmph, the pump just cant hack it, for $86 from repco, its worth changing, I just need the car too last till end of october, if it goes for any longer, I will be extremely happy,

It was an old lady's car before I got it, and she looked after it, but she couldnt drive for **** by the looks of it when I got it, all cosmetic damage

Sasha_85

Rising Sun Base Jumping
Reaction score
Members Ride
Type R Integra, VE SV6, L67 VS
do commodore's run a "Main Fuel Relay" cause in Hondas the metal pin in the Main relay breaks and wen it gets hot it expands and does not get fuel pumpin .
then you let the car cool down and metal pin shrinks and u get a arc...

ORIXVywags

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know of there definately being a Relay and a Fuse under the bonnet, I dont know it expanding when it heats up, I tried the swap a few relays and fuses when I was suck on the side of the road, but it didnt work,

Its at the Mechanics now, jumped in it and drove to the mechanics with out it stoping, but he only 2kms away from home,

just have to wait for the Verdict, and the Wallet Raping

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
id say fuel pump. my mums vr had similar issue. drove fine til it died. didnt wanna start for a while and then it would suddenly fire. turned out in her car that it was sand in the tank and burnt out fuel pump. replaced it twice because the didnt see the dirt in the tank

ORIXVywags

Reaction score
Members Ride
SAND!!!! holy ****, wow well I have a pump ready to go in it, I will be getting that done, I might get the tank flushed while at it,

see what happens, I thought it was the CAS forsure, but meh, just means less chance it stopping on me, 1 less thing to worry about

I current living in Goulburn, South West NSW, and it gets a bit dusty and **** out here

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
yea or if you get a bad batch of fuel. ill post up some pics of the results of a bad batch o diesel in my dads landcruiser in a min