Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS - Head gasket or intake gasket?

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Found some coolant on one of the spark plugs today after trying a few things in regards to rough idling.

A few weeks back I had an intake manifold gasket replaced by a mechanic and recently it started idling rough as guts. Rang the mechanic and he reckons no way it could be the work he did and it must be the leads (one of the plugs was gunky), so I replaced the leads and still had issues. Tried changing around injectors to see if one of those was sticking open, but no luck.

Went to do a compression test on it today and when I pulled out the plug on number six, it was wet. I did the compression test and the reading on no. 6 is the same as the rest. When I spoke to the mechanic he said "I'd hate to codemn a head gasket if it's just a lead" but I would've thought if it was a problem with the head, there'd be chocolate milkshake on the dipstick, but the oil is nice and clean. I also thought if the head was the problem, compression should be down. Would compression be normal if the problem is the intake manifold gasket?

Just wanted a second opinion before I head in there and blast the bloke and get him to redo the job.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
You said
"A few weeks back I had an intake manifold gasket replaced by a mechanic"
What he didn`t replace both gaskets and the seals and gasket goo?
Sounds like you have a leaking intake manifold gasket mybe a little leak?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
sounds like the intake if the comp and oil are ok.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
You said
"A few weeks back I had an intake manifold gasket replaced by a mechanic"
What he didn`t replace both gaskets and the seals and gasket goo?
Sounds like you have a leaking intake manifold gasket mybe a little leak?

I'm convinced that it's the intake gasket again. He charged me for new gaskets.

I did it myself about 18 months ago but it didn't last so I figured I wasn't either torquing the bolts correctly or corrosion on the manifold was allowing small leaks to sneak back in. I got another manifold and was going to get that machined and redo it myself again (at the time I originally did it myself, I wasn't earning much so was doing all my own maintenance but this time around I thought screw it, I have the cash and will pay someone else to get messy).

I just wanted another opinion as I wasn't sure if the intake leak would affect the compression readings or not.

One thing he noted, he reckons I "overdid" the gasket goo in the original job on the two end strip gaskets. I didn't put any on the main gaskets. Tempted to do it again myself but bugger that if I've forked out a crap load of cash to get it done right.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I Did not put the gasket goo in when i did my VR, as they interlock and holden told me its not required so i left it out. No Problems since. what gaskets did you put in ? I put the holden OEM ones in since i though they lasted many years why mess with a good thing lol
Id take it back to them and have it checked.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
My gm tech that does all the things I can`t puts goo on how much I don`t know. Mine was leaking from front seal

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
I Did not put the gasket goo in when i did my VR, as they interlock and holden told me its not required so i left it out. No Problems since. what gaskets did you put in ? I put the holden OEM ones in since i though they lasted many years why mess with a good thing lol
Id take it back to them and have it checked.

I used genuine gaskets when I did it first time around. Was told that it needed some sealer in the corners where the end gaskets meet the main ones.

Dunno what the mechanic put in this time around. Im trying to think why it would start up again and the only conclusion I can come up with is the corrosion in the manifold not allowing the two surfaces to mate correctly.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
The sealing faces are supposed to be clean. Ensure the bolts are tight. One could be loose.

If your keen, get Mace manifold gaskets, clean the surfaces and ensure the jobs done right.

9C1pack

Reaction score
Years ago, I had a similar problem with a 253 inlet manifold. New gaskets would not seal, had to get the corrosion welded and then resurfaced (with a file, I think).

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
The sealing faces are supposed to be clean. Ensure the bolts are tight. One could be loose.

If your keen, get Mace manifold gaskets, clean the surfaces and ensure the jobs done right.

Problem solved. I had a thought yesterday to put a spanner on the bolts around no 6 and they weren't even tight let alone torqued correctly. I know a certain mechanic who will never be getting my business ever again. I was also losing coolant around the thermostat housing.

I'm planning to replace the fuel injectors anyway and when I've got the fuel rails off etc, I'll check the that all the intake bolts are correctly torqued.