Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Indicators don't work but hazard lights do.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Hi guys, I woke up this morning to find my Indicators don't work. Both left and right, front middle and rear. The dash doesn't even make the clicking sound or flash the little green arrows. But the hazzard lights work fine. all indicators flash as well as making the clicking sound and flashing the green arrows. Have checked the indicator fuses and they all seem fine. What he hell could it be? I'm thinking something to do with the actual leaver that you push down or up to indicate?

Keeping in mind this is a pretty well looked after VS SII 97 model. Inside is almost like brand new! Only done 113,000kms.

Sounds like a simple fuse to me but I have checked all of them under the bonnet and under the steering wheel all seem fine. The flasher relay is obviously OK because the hazard lights work.

I'm stumped! Any Ideas?

Thanks

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I'm pretty sure there should be 2 relays in the fusebox under your dash. One is your indicator relay and one is your hazard light relay. I'd be guessing that's **** itself.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Oh really? I could only see one called a "Flasher Relay". I will have another look tomorrow morning before I go to work.

Thanks for that.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure theres a relay for each.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Ok this is really weird! I woke up this morning. Went down to check out the relays under the steering wheel and couldn't find separate ones for the hazzard and indicators the only one I could find was "flasher". I then thought to my self I might just try them again to see if they miraculously fixed them selves over night. And guess what they worked! What the hell?

So what could cause them to not work for a whole day and then work fine the next? I didn't touch or change anything. The only thing I did last night was drive it from the footpath into my garage at around 10pm and they weren't working then either.

I'm stumped!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It is probably in your hazard switch. The indicator circuit runs through that, all it does is act like the indicator switch but powers up both sides of the car at the same time. Did you take it out recently? Or did you have a really humid or wet day yesterday? The moisture in the air can sometimes affect the hazard switch. Take it out, give it a spray with contact cleaner or carby cleaner and blow it dry with compressed air.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
also check, this came up the other week, i suggested the indicator stalk, but someone else said theres 2 seperate fuses for hazards and indicators.

Brownie1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S-Pack Ute on 20's
I've had the same sorta problem.. though my blinkers work but when i turn on the hazard lights, on the left side flashes.. Any ideas?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
only the left side?

sounds like the hazard switch isnt making contact for the right blinker

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
not_an_abba_fan has it right. The indicator circuit runs through the hazard light switch, so an issue with that could affect the indicators. If you have ever tried to use the indicators with the hazard light switch unplugged, you will find that they wont work at all!