Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs missfiring?

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Ok, so i've had my vs for almost a year and its been great. Lately when i've started the car the engine shakes as if its misfiring, but i turn it off, wait 2mins and try again, starts and runs fine. But now its happened twice more and i got the check engine light pop up while comming home. Checked the fault code and it came up 42.

Code 42 - Electronic Spark Timing Bypass Circuit fault (EST)

After a bit of research and searching through the forums and reciepts, i've kinda narrowed it down to a few things.
1. Spark plugs - havnt been replaced for 40000 km's
2. Ignition leads - havnt been replaced for 4yrs
3. Coil Pack - as far as I know their originals

Any advice as to which it could be? I can't afford to just go round replacing all of them, even the ignition leads will take a drain on my wallet. Its due for 200k km service soon as well but want to try and get this prob fixed before then. I'm fine to replace everything myself, just need to know what needs to be fixed.

Any help would be great.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i'll check my manual to see if it has any info, but i would start with fresh fuel. year old fuel would be very stale, maybe even a fresh fuel filter.

i'll post back soon

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Ok, so i've had my vs for almost a year and its been great. Lately when i've started the car the engine shakes as if its misfiring, but i turn it off, wait 2mins and try again, starts and runs fine. But now its happened twice more and i got the check engine light pop up while comming home. Checked the fault code and it came up 42.

Code 42 - Electronic Spark Timing Bypass Circuit fault (EST)

After a bit of research and searching through the forums and reciepts, i've kinda narrowed it down to a few things.
1. Spark plugs - havnt been replaced for 40000 km's
2. Ignition leads - havnt been replaced for 4yrs
3. Coil Pack - as far as I know their originals

Any advice as to which it could be? I can't afford to just go round replacing all of them, even the ignition leads will take a drain on my wallet. Its due for 200k km service soon as well but want to try and get this prob fixed before then. I'm fine to replace everything myself, just need to know what needs to be fixed.

Any help would be great.

I'd replace the plugs and leads anyway. There's advice on here on on how to test the coil packs with a multimeter, just do a search.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you can change parts yourself why not do your 200k service yourself too ? On an ecotec its just oil , filters, plugs etc and save your cash to slove the current problem.
Your code 42 sounds technical, but sounds like it could be DFI related or a sensor in that area ?

wildeagle44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Got some second hand coil packs so will give those ago, and decided to get new leads. Will look into plugs when In a week or 2.