Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS on gas destroying plugs/backfiring

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
A nice Christmas present for me - my wagon limped home after a long towing effort :(. It's happened twice now - brand new plugs and runs ok, then after about a 3 hour drive under load ( car trailer ), the car backfires and seems to drop a cylinder or two. I pulled the plugs out and the ceramic on 4 out of 6 plugs was cracked - they were brand new this time! So not sure whether the gas backfire caused the plugs to crack or the other way around. Any ideas? I'm using NGK BPR6EF-13 plugs and they seem to be gapped at about 1.3. This morning I scraped together some old plugs that weren't cracked and regapped them to 1.5 to see if it would run on petrol - still misfiring. I've had constant problems with LPG and poor fuel economy so I think I will just try and get the car running back on Petrol now. Which plugs should I buy for standard petrol?

Thanks in advance and merry christmas :)

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Picture of the plugs. I can't remember which are which but the oldest ones were just under 5000kms old, the newer ones about 500km old.....

IMG_0334.jpg

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
To me, it looks like they were broken when you removed them with the socket.
Any side movement while undoing them will crack them like this.
Always support the socket as close as you can to the plug and don't allow any side movement while putting pressure on to undo the plug.
The spark plug socket you are using may also have lost the rubber insert that helps protect the ceramic upper part of the plug as well as holding the plug firm in the socket so it is easy to put them back in so they don't fall out of the socket while installing them.

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Ah cool mate, I did wonder that as I'm using an old socket. Mmm, I guess it doesn't help me with why the car starting running bad then..... :(

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Ok so I've done some more testing and checked for error codes. There's a definite miss under acceleration on both Gas and Petrol. Initially I got error codes:
19 - Throttle Sender Stuck
44 - RH Oxygen sensor Lean
45 - RH Oxygen Sensor Rich
57 - Injector Power Supply Voltage Variation
64 - LH Oxygen Sensor Lean
76 - Air Fuel Ration variation
32 - Manifold Air Flow sensor

I disconnected the battery and reset the comp and now I'm only getting error 32. The engine light is staying on all the time now. Would this error cause a misfire.....?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
NGK iridium plugs should do fine. I have them on my VS on gas, never had a problem, only backfired a couple of time when I had a vaccum hose problem.

Probably plugs are blowing as a result of the backfires or a fault in the mixtures and tune. In terms of backfiring, I'd be checking your tune to make sure you not running lean. Common for LPG to backfire when running lean or timing is a little off.

Start there, see how you go.

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks mate, good advice. It really does feel like it's plugs/points/coil packs related now. I drove it on petrol tonight and with only slight acceleration it's smooth as, but then under more load it breaks down and misfires. Codes are down to 32 and 57 now. Hopefully Sprints are open tomorrow and I'll get new plugs and leads. I reckon I'll set it up to run on petrol for now and if I get confident I may switch back to gas :).

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Thanks mate, good advice. It really does feel like it's plugs/points/coil packs related now. I drove it on petrol tonight and with only slight acceleration it's smooth as, but then under more load it breaks down and misfires. Codes are down to 32 and 57 now. Hopefully Sprints are open tomorrow and I'll get new plugs and leads. I reckon I'll set it up to run on petrol for now and if I get confident I may switch back to gas :).

Have fun trying to find the points on a VS, LOL!
I had dramas with my VS on gas and turned out to be a DFI/Coil pack.

sticksicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer ma
Damage to the ceramic outers of these plugs is certainly caused by installation/removal and would likely lead to some of the current leaking straight to your engine block!!!!! This arcing may have 'confused' some sensors and thus given you codes that are wrong; there's always hope:)
Suggest use of Eagle leads to replace your (possibly) old spark leads, stay away from Bosch Australia plugs and leads! They're over priced for their quality.
Check other connections like your altenator and especially your battery connections as any, I mean ANY looseness can create even breif voltage changes that might leave you with a plenum full of raw gas that with a stray spark goes BOOM. SNAFU for ecotech engines. Check tightness of injectors in the manifold -engine off, batt disconnected! I've seen loose old injectors contribute to these issues.
BUY a workshop manual, best $50 you'll ever spend if you like working on your wheels :))

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks guys! Ha ha, I'm used to old car with my "points" slip. Ok just finished replacing the plugs and leads. I got side-tracked and did the Tailshaft Centre bearing - that is one crap job!! Ok, the misfire is still there :(. At idle and slight acceleration it's fine but under load it breaks down. I'm still getting error codes 32 and 57. I had a spare plate that the coil packs bolt too ( is that the DFI Module? ) so I swapped that over with no luck. I also read on the forum somewhere that to test Coil Packs you take the leads off and if the spark jumps straight across the pack is ok. If that's true then the coil packs seem fine.

I wonder if your comments sticksicks are causing the error 57? I've just had to pack it in as have other stuff to do but I'll be back out there tonight. I'll check all the injectors etc to see if I can spot anything. A workshop manual is definitely on the cards!