Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs petrol pump failing (i think)

alan smithy

alan smithy
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs wagon
hi all, this morning, car ran normal out of garage, but on restart was terrible. kept cutting out and couldn't even get back in garage. sounded like starving for fuel. can't remember if i heard pump priming but after
half an hour it ran perfect.i was just about to give the tank a bash as i heard that will bring them back.
what i'm asking is i am a bit worried as going to narooma on the south coast next week and don't want it failing.so either i replace it or take a punt on it working all the time.but then again, was it the pump in the first place? all codes clear. has anybody had one fail, then come alive and keep going for a long time?
thanks for any ideas.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
When you say it would not start was that on a hot or cold motor? Might be worth checking the crank angle sensor if it won't start when the motor is hot, next tiemit won't start pour some cold water over the CAS and if it then starts good chance it's no good and needs to be replaced.
Fuel pump you could go and get the fuel pressure checked but I had one go in a VN the first sign was hard to start and a bad idle then the next restart it would not run so they can go with little warning. I had to be towed. Turned out the wire braid on one of the brushes had come off, the current was passing through the spring behind the bruch and it must have been arcing on the ack of the brush as it was eroded.
A genuine fuel pump cost me about $100 2 or 3 years ago and I'd be seriously thinking about changing it for the sake of not breaking down at about 200,000km max.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
I had mine go on me bout this time last year, my car had just over 200 000k's on the clock, went out one day down to my nan's bout a 50km trip one way, drove down there fine didnt notice anything, was there for a few hours, when i left the car started and ran fine, the only thing i noticed was going onto the freeway it seemed to be lacking in a bit of power but cruised home quite normally, then i was about 1/2-1km from home and it just died, pulled over the side of the road and couldnt get it goin, it wouldnt start and when it would finally fire it would run rough as for a second or 2 then die, in the end i worked out it was the fuel pump, got it replaced and all is good.