Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS revised temp sender question

Lank

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vs executive series 2
Hello all!

I have been reading on here about the vs v6's common "overheating" problem. I saw that there was a revised temp sender made in 1997 (Part number #92063571) and I thought it might be a good idea to fit the revised one so I would get a more accurate reading (and because I like to mess around with the old commy haha :) )

When I bought the part I was a little skeptical because I thought the revised one was 5 or 10mm longer?

Anyway, I got home and fit the sender, went for a drive to warm it up, then parked it and left to get really warm. I was watching the temp gauge slowly rise to the second line until hot... I thought that was a tad too hot so I pulled out the fan sensor so it would start and cool the engine down as fan did not start automatically.

Fit the old one again and ran same test. Fan kicked in in the same place it used to (see pic).

Is the part I bought the right one?

I have also attached a photo of the two senders so others can get a better idea of the length difference (The new one is up the top & yes I dropped it in sand when I pulled it out from the engine :p)
IMG_0157.jpgIMG_0155.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Do the low/hi fan test to see if u have both speeds, then post up results

I think the revised one doesn't impede on flow as it doesn't stick out as far. If results are the same, I can't see e sensor being the issue

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the coolant temp sensor is the one that triggers the fan not the temp sender so no matter what the gauges reads the fan will kick in at the same temp, there is two senders and most places sell u the wrong one, one is the earlie temp sender suits VL that at operating temp is about half way and if used in vn-vs operating temp is bout half and fans kick in at bout 3/4, then proper vn-vs temp sender is about 1/4 operating temp and about 1/2 when fans kick in they both look the same but one is a little longer...

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
yeah im no expert but i believe the sender u got has nothing to do with anything

its only tells u the temp on the dash, these readings are supplied to nothing else, its for only 1 single purpose

you need a 4-pin ECU coolant temp sensor, its sits 5 centimetres to the right of the sensor u are try to fix (on a VS)

Lank

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies!

I did the test where you disconnect the thermo fan's temp sensor and wait 12 sec for low speed and another 6 seconds for hi speed.

Results were lo speed came on no worries but no hi speed. Installed new fuse and hi speed came on. For the original dash sender, is the fan kickin in at about the right temp (in picture)?

Also, just to be sure the shorter one IS the revised temp sender (to dash)?

I'm a bit paranoid about the summer coming because last summer the car came close to overheating in traffic. Had to pull over and let the fan do it's job for 10 min before temp came down enough for me to drive off again :/

NOTE: I currently have oil in the coolant but no coolant in the oil so I'm replacing the intake manifold gaskits soon and cleaning the plenum/throttle body at the same time.

moneypit

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
Sounds like a good plan to change the gasket. If you really want piece of mind chuck in a new radiator as well, they are quite cheap off ebay.

Yeah thats about where my fan kicks in. Remember the dash guage coupled with the single wire sender give the impression of large temp changes when in fact they move a lot for a small change in temp. Mostly the guage will read right up near max before you have to worry.

You could always fit a second aftermarket temp guage if you get really paranoid!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
revised temp sender number 92061500

Lank

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the gauge info moneypit!

Yeah I think I will get a new radiator while I'm at it.

So does that mean I bought the wrong sender? What are the differences between the one I bought and this other part number? (#92061500)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON