Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Senator 5.7L man

Gregvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 2
Getting some motivation to give this girl a new lease on life

VS Senator
5.7L
factory 6 speed
Factory leather

Mods:
VY Senator sig Harrop brakes all round
VZ Clubsport Wheels

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Roota355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR UTE 5.0
Have to admit im jealous. Nice ride
Ill get me one one day

hstlvc

Hostile
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
HSV SENATOR 215i
How did ya get the rear brakes to fit? I was going to buy a set but have been told it wouldve need custom brackets to be made and that means it would need to be certed to be roadworthy- so opted to leave my std brakes on.

Gregvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 2
I bought vt/x/y/z control arms from wreckers, removed my vs control arms and swapped the handbrake components over. To get the handbrake backing plate off u need to remove the hub, when the hub is removed u will need to replace the wheel bearings. The vt and vs backing plates have the same bolt pattern onto the arm but they use different bolt (I used the Vt bolts with the vt backing plate onto the vs arms)

Back the vs handbrake off under the car adjustment all the way, then u can hook the cable into the rear wheels and adjust as needed.

So when u take off my rear rotors and calipers it looks like a vt set up. The caliper mounting bolts are common across all models.

Cost was $50 each arm second hand, bearings are about $60 each genuine.
There is also a cage that goes around the nut that holds the hub on which I replaced these are $12 each genuine.

Bit off time and the result was great. Great handbrake feel and many breaking options from standard vt rear rotors to all HSV options. I also replaced control arm bushes with nolathane items and a camber kit.

Have not driven car yet with new brakes.

Gregvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 2
Sorry forgot to mention for IRS rear end

hstlvc

Hostile
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
HSV SENATOR 215i
Ive got a 215 Senator also..Was looking at the same steup as yours cause it looks cool! Hows ya pedal feel? Normally when you up the caliper size, you need a larger master cylinder and I notice the 215's have a 15/16 master with ABS as opposed to the 1" or bigger on other models.

Just to get a decent handbrake might just make this mod worthwhile in the least!

Gregvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 2
I have a vt master/booster still to install. At the moment I only really driven in and out garage. I had the vt calipers on my old vp with a 15/16 master and it had long pedal. I upgraded the vp with the hsv c5 corvette calipers and had to change to booster/ master to vt items because of the sloppy pedal. The vt booster has modified stud pattern so the early Commodores can accept straight into fire wall. The vt master is slightly longer but I was able to use the existing vp/vs support bracket on the drivers strut by turning it 180 degrees and a large nut for a spacer. The set up should be the same in the vs, although I have not got that far as yet

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Very nice good nic

Gregvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS 2
Very nice good nic

Thank you, cleaning one panel at at time, couple of scratches and the front bar has a lot of stone chips. The previous owner took this car around Australia twice he told me. Would love to repaint the whole car in original colour.

The front seats are being re upholstered currently, found a very very very close colour.