Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Series 2 ECU

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Hi, is someone with an Executive or S Pak automatic able to post a photo or tell me the codes that are printed on their ECU?

I changed my ECU some time ago in my Series 1 VS S Pak Automatic and was never really pleased with how the car started and idled on cold start.

I remember from memory that series 2 V6 Auto ECU had a better program then Series 1, so am wanting to fit a Series 2 V6 Automatic ECU into my Series 1.

Thanks in Advance

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Have a look at this list: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/memcal-id-codes.96150/
The first number listed is the memcal ID, the number after the engine/trans is the ECU it comes in. They're not really tied to particular years or models (outside of the obvious), the memcal is just updated constantly throughout the lifecycle of the car with tiny incremental changes.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have a look at this list: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/memcal-id-codes.96150/
The first number listed is the memcal ID, the number after the engine/trans is the ECU it comes in. They're not really tied to particular years or models (outside of the obvious), the memcal is just updated constantly throughout the lifecycle of the car with tiny incremental changes.

Thanks for this, I take it the later codes would be for series 2 vehicles?
Just a question, is there any benefit to the police version ECU's?

Also is there an issues/drama with using a later ECU for 4 wire O2 when I might have a 2 Wire O2

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Being a VS I doubt you have a two wire O2. VR had four wire.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Thanks for this, I take it the later codes would be for series 2 vehicles?
Just a question, is there any benefit to the police version ECU's?
If the codes for the other models are anything to go by, then probably. AFAIK the ECUs themselves are largely the same, the differences between them are the blue memcal chips inside which you can take out and swap around. To my knowledge there haven't been issues running later models on earlier ECUs and tunes (minus whatever listed difference or model improvement there is), even with the different year models of transmissions that have been listed.

AFAIK the only difference in the Police tunes is that they have a higher idle speed to help the alternator feed the extra accessories the Police use. I have no idea what "RFI" means, apart from maybe some extra shielding. I do vaguely remember somebody mentioning there might have been some extra circuitry that meant it could support all speed sensors used for that model.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Being a VS I doubt you have a two wire O2. VR had four wire.
really? I did some searching and early VS had 2 wire and later one was 4 wire. If you click on the link that was posted above it lists

BPYP???? $51 3.8L Man (T5) 16199728 VS start of production - (4-wire O2)
BPYR1417 $51 3.8L Auto 16199728 VS start of production - (2-wire O2)

then later version for auto is

BRHP6563 $51 3.8L Auto 16199728 Released for Heated O2 sensors (4-wire O2)

then later on again replaced with

BWPJ1640 $51 3.8L Auto 16199728 Revised CanPurge, Cold Hesitation and Ping fix

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
If the codes for the other models are anything to go by, then probably. AFAIK the ECUs themselves are largely the same, the differences between them are the blue memcal chips inside which you can take out and swap around. To my knowledge there haven't been issues running later models on earlier ECUs and tunes (minus whatever listed difference or model improvement there is), even with the different year models of transmissions that have been listed.

AFAIK the only difference in the Police tunes is that they have a higher idle speed to help the alternator feed the extra accessories the Police use. I have no idea what "RFI" means, apart from maybe some extra shielding. I do vaguely remember somebody mentioning there might have been some extra circuitry that meant it could support all speed sensors used for that model.
thanks for the info, I wont bother with the police versions that are for sale

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
really? I did some searching and early VS had 2 wire and later one was 4 wire. If you click on the link that was posted above it lists

BPYP???? $51 3.8L Man (T5) 16199728 VS start of production - (4-wire O2)
BPYR1417 $51 3.8L Auto 16199728 VS start of production - (2-wire O2)

then later version for auto is

BRHP6563 $51 3.8L Auto 16199728 Released for Heated O2 sensors (4-wire O2)

then later on again replaced with

BWPJ1640 $51 3.8L Auto 16199728 Revised CanPurge, Cold Hesitation and Ping fix
VR already had a heated O2, unless you have two O2 sensors with one four wire and one two wire.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure where you're looking for 02 sensors? But only ones worth buying for VS are NGK and the price is a lot more than that.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure where you're looking for 02 sensors? But only ones worth buying for VS are NGK and the price is a lot more than that.
no, no tlooking to buy O2 sensor, looking to get a later ECU a series2 for my series 1 an di read and noted that early series 1 VS didnt have the 4 wire O2, so wanted to know if getting a later ECU would cause me to have problems