Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Series 2 ECU

OZ38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 T5 SDN & VY V6 M35 UTE
no, no tlooking to buy O2 sensor, looking to get a later ECU a series2 for my series 1 an di read and noted that early series 1 VS didnt have the 4 wire O2, so wanted to know if getting a later ECU would cause me to have problems
As mentioned my early series 1 VS was T5 trans & ECU. It had 4 wire 02's.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Now the only problem I find is on a trailing throttle yhe revs will blink up & down, the same as you find with a Auto Trans Commies.
Not sure what you mean by auto commodore "blinking up and down", the auto VS I had never did that.

Does your speedo work?

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
When you changed ECU's did you use the same number ECU as what was in the car originally ?
Why I ask is because I have a T5 manual VS which now is running on a Auto ECU (VT I believe) The Kalmaker Software Tuner did the tune on the Chip & sorted it all out. Now the only problem I find is on a trailing throttle yhe revs will blink up & down, the same as you find with a Auto Trans Commies. So even though I have a memcal tuned for manual operation in the ECU, it still has some operating traits from the Auto ECU so it seems.
I wondered if your ECU went from a Auto to Manual possibly ?
I replaced my ECU years ago after it blew up when doing a jump start. I cant rember if it was replaced with the exact same one as i have to pull the kick panel off and have a look at my original one i have stored away, but i was never really happy with the replacement and now that the car has been sitting in storage for ages and am now starting to use it again, it gives me the s**** on cold starts taking for ever and if i try and raise the revs it just shudders and coughs and splats.

so hence why i want a genuine original ECU from a series 2 as i know the tune was a lot better by then and sorted out cold start issues etc

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
ECU should stay the same, you'll have to get a new memcal to slot in.

This will need vats removed

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
i have to pull the kick panel off and have a look at my original one i have stored away
If you still have the original ECU, you should just be able to pull out the memcal chip and put it into the working one. Like I said, the ECUs are largely (AFAIK) the same and all of the tuning differences are on that chip. Chances are good that the memcal is fine even if the ECU is fried.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
ok thanks, i'll still buy a later series 2 ecu that has its memcal, then i can compare and fit my original and see how it all goes. thanks for the heads up