Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS 1996 series 2 Speedo not working, Help please lol

Julian1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any advice.
Ok so to cut a long story short my Speedo stopped working a while ago and using a solution I found on this forum I fixed the issue. I did this by using a multimeter and finding the track the fault was on, then using alfoil taped down with electrical tape. This fixed everything, cruse control worked and the odometer worked.

Then it stopped working again, I thought likely the heat we've experienced this summer made the tape come up and not hold the alfoil down so not making contact to bridge the damaged tracks.

I repeated the process and it worked fine for a Day then stopped working again a week or so ago.

So I purchased conductive paint to fix the track damage where there's exposed copper, to get the job done properly.

I did this today, Speedo doesn't work, odometer doesn't work and neither does the cruse control , also the speed alert won't work likely due to the speedo not working.
Also where In one of the places I did the repair at the top of Con2 it smoked and burned a bit, likely the paint went over 2 tracks and shorted.

So I had it working great but now everything mentioned refuses to work, it's making me pull my hair out lol.

What have I missed?

Is it easier to just get another cluster?

Being an SS, can U just use a V6 cluster out of any Vs Commodore or does it have to be one out of a V8?
It looks exactly the same as the clusters iv had in a few VS execs iv had.

Thanks again for any help, thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@NORTI can probably tell you if a V6 cluster is compatible with a V8.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the V8 clusters have slightly different calibration on the temp gauge and also tacho is for 8 cyl and coil, v6 is for dfi output signal and wrong cylinder, i dont know what this alfoil is but anything less the soldiering or crimping is not going to work for long

Julian1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
the V8 clusters have slightly different calibration on the temp gauge and also tacho is for 8 cyl and coil, v6 is for dfi output signal and wrong cylinder, i dont know what this alfoil is but anything less the soldiering or crimping is not going to work for long
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-fix-speedo-vs-commodore.86469/

this is how I found out about this solution I initially used.
iv now used the electric Paint again,upon finding a few other damaged tracks. Will update tomorrow,cheers

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u are super careful with a temp controlled soldiering iron u can touch them up with that, even if u bare back the same track earlier on where its thicker and use a little wire soldier and join it back to a further on thicker spot after the crack issue