Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs steering rack NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!!

rick_james

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hey guys, got a slight problem with the steering rack on my car or should i say the lack of fluid in it.....it has dropped all the oil out of it on the drivers side it was coming out of the rack end boot (or bellow) just curious as to weather this is a common thing and there is a quick seal to replace or if i have to put a new rack in.....keeping in mind i am moving town in less then 24 hours and dont have the much money left over....so if u could get back to me as quickly as possible it would be great

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
not what you want on moving day. How far are you moving and how fast is the leak ? if its slow you could fill it up and drive to your new joint.
The seal can be done but don't know how easy to do, I just got a reco rack and changed it over - sorts out all the leaks, moans, groans and perished bits in one go.

rick_james

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
it leaks bad enough to leave an almost constant line of fluid when the car is idling forward. moving 300km's and dont have the money at present for a reco rack. anyone got any ideas?? i am actually a parts interpreter for a holden dealership so i know what i am doing when it comes to mechanical side of things

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
guess you better pull the boot off and have a look see then.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
If the leak from the rack is really that bad, you really have no choice but to fit another rack.

Best would be reco, cheapest would be second hand.

If you drive it without fliud (apart from being dangerous) you will just damage other components such as the pump.

Make sure it's not a split high pressure hose before you pull the rack out.

vs commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
just put sum sikaflex on it and filll it up lol u need a new rack mate no quick way out of this one

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
i am actually a parts interpreter for a holden dealership so i know what i am doing when it comes to mechanical side of things

If that is the case, then why are you asking on a forum instead of just fixing it?

rick_james

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
cause i cant really afford a new rack and i wasnt sure if there was another way to fix it. thats why i am on here asking buddy

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
No you have no choice, if it can leave a line while idling its way past gone, seals are likely FUBAR. Get a reco one to save coin.

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8