Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS turning off spontaneously

catalyst55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Hey

My 1996 VS II turns of spontaneously sometimes. It happens both when the fuel is full and empty. It's happened when I've been relatively stationary and when i've been going 80km/h down princes hwy.

I've just had a full service done, the mech says the engine is all fine. but it's still happening.

What could it be? perhaps the fuel injection? what do i do?

any advice would be appreciated.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Could be the CAS. Best place to start. They play up when they get hot. Also the ECU/core pack may be on the way out.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Do a search of this forum on how to check error codes and see what it returns.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Guys above are spot on, check error codes, you should be getting errors logged. Sounds like it could be crank angle sensor (cas).

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
+1 for crank angle sensor, this used to happen to me sometimes, replaced that and its been fine ever since. Good luck :p

existentialist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
hey guys, thanks for the help.

it returns 12 - all fine. although a few times it returns what seems to be 11 or 14 (there's a long pause between the second and the third flash). i just topped up the coolant all the way (kinda overfilled it) so 14 makes sense. anyway it doesnt seem to be the crank angle sensor.

so what could it be? i drove it all night yesterday and it was fine. it happens once in a blue moon, but it does get pretty annoying.

existentialist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
+1 for crank angle sensor, this used to happen to me sometimes, replaced that and its been fine ever since. Good luck :p

+1? maybe that's what i was getting... however i distinctly recall that there was no 11 on the error code list i observed

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Could be a faulty crank angle sensor, or DFI Module. Make sure that you are checking the codes properly, remembering that code 12 will be displayed 3 times, and then any faults will be displayed thereafter.

Check the connections to the DFI module, which sits under the coil packs, make sure your leads and plugs are within specifications, and are in good condition.

May also pay to test your fuel pressure, make sure thats in the right range, could also be your fuel pump on the way out...

How many km has the car done?

I replaced my crank angle sensor almost a year ago, car used to stall quite rarely, and then it became more frequent, and then it stalled in peak hour traffic, and wouldn't restart again... Holden couldn't find anything wrong with it, despite it being in the shop for two days, and I also even managed to get the codes, so I dont know how they didn't... But I had them replace the crank angle sensor, and its been perfectly fine ever since.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
i'm having trouble interpreting the error codes. could you guys help me out?

this video begins right after the 3rd code 12 is displayed:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/mmil6/100_8223.MOV

the car's done just over 230 000kms

From your video clip there, it looks like code 23 to me, which is Mass Air Temp Sensor (MAT) high voltage. I'd be checking out both your MAF sensor, and also checking the intake temperature sensor, which is plugged into the back of the airbox.