Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS ute blowing fuse.

willo2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi
I have a vs 3.8 manual ute. It keeps blowing the ignition fuse which is no 10 under the dash.Might go 10mins or 2 days. Anyone else had this problem.
Thanks

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
What is the fuse that keeps blowing rated at is it 7.5 amps?

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I have a VR ute manual; had that fuse blow, I was putting a UHF radio in and I thought I'd forgotten to connect a wire as I had no power through that fuse.Ended up finding the ignition relay was cactus,replaced that and the fuse no more problem....hope this helps.

willo2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks will try that. Had it at the sparky today, they cant seem to find anything. Intermittent faults are hard to find ,might have to let the problem develop.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Thanks will try that. Had it at the sparky today, they cant seem to find anything. Intermittent faults are hard to find ,might have to let the problem develop.
Okay, I bought a new Triton single cab Ute seven years ago, the dealer had a tray put on, all good.
It wasn’t long before it was blowing the indicator fuse. Replaced two or three times, still no good, kept blowing. Took it a back to the dealer and typically they couldn’t find the fault, it blew again. Frustrated, I did my own investigation only to find that when they put on the tray, they had somehow jammed the wiring loom causing the insulation to wear, which consequently shorted out and blew the fuse because the bare wires were touching the chassis.
Not sure if this will help you, but I guess it wouldn’t harm to check for bad earths or short outs.
Good luck.

Reactions: Lex

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I did mean to start my post with 'assuming there are no obvious shorts' but I didn't.
Just sayin' I've had the problem with that fuse.
On a commodore.
The relay in my particular case may have been affected by arcing over the contacts causing a resistance and excessive current draw for the 7.5 amp fuse.

willo2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ok,
The problem has developed a little further. The fuse (no 10 ) only blows when you turn the A/C on. The interior fan is running as soon as you press the A/c switch you go about 100 metres and the fuse blows. Can not get it to blow the fuse while stationary. Changed the engine cooling fan high and low speed relays. Changed the EFI relay changed the ignition relay. The cooling fan (not sure whether it is high or low) works as it should when the coolant temperature gets to about 1/2 on the gauge without blowing the fuse. I have attached a wiring diagram. I am confused how power in the A/C circuit can get back to blow fuse 10.
Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• Vs ute.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 158

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I’m pretty useless when it comes to anything electrical. My indicator fuse only blew when the car was moving. I deduced this was as a result of the bare wires rubbing on the chassis as the car moved.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
are the high speed and low speed fan relays the correct relays? the high speed is a 4 pin maybe 20 amp rated the low a 5 pin. this site would know the part numbers. otherwise a short on the orange blue high speed wire if it only blows on high speed. or the fan which you said you all ready changed.