Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Auto to Manual Conversion. Help Needed

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
i can tell you now, it is not a fun job to do, but it does pay excellent dividends!!! Soooo much better with a manual are these commodores!! Oh and the skids.......................... hehehe!!
get his tyres too, you may need them

GWH11Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 vs commodore
getreg in a vs series 1 is it hard what would i need to do?

Beno1982

Beno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6 sedan
TRX100 Computer

dont forget gearbox crossmember. I got different computer from trx100 for my vs manual conversion (used vp gearbox).
The auto and manuals have diferent plugs for the reverse lights and speedo, but these were supplied with the different computer purchased.
Thecar ran like a turd without this computer by the way. The wiring loom is only from the computer (a big rubber grommet through the fire wall) around the engine and to the gearbox, not the whole car.
Do not forget also the metal plate that is around the gear shifter, you will have to drill out 6 or 8 rivets, or you will have to make one up like i had to.
Starter motor is different.
There is some sort of spacer that the clutch cable does through into the firewall, i do not have this, and holden does not sell these anymore, so i have a bunch of washers there which is far from ideal, get this if you are able.
This is all i can think of now, if i remember anything else i will let you know!!
Oh and this is totally worth the pain of doing it by the way, car is heaps more enjoyable to drive (and does waay better skids.... ahem.. i mean, takeoffs, than an auto)

Venerable i have converted my car over now has been for a couple months but i got everything that was needed i even pulled the loom and computer out of the ute, but i did the same thing as what you have mentioned above and bought the computer and loom attachment from TRX100 as i did not want to go through the drama of replacing engine loom. Car runs fine everything works but i just wondering if you experienced any problems with it.

My car sometimes will stall when i stop at a stop sign or taffic lights. If you had these problems can you let me know how to fix it if i can without replacing the loom,

Thanks in advance

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
thats cause you got sold an auto ecu with error codes turned off they do that need a proper manual ecu and tune

Beno1982

Beno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6 sedan
thats cause you got sold an auto ecu with error codes turned off they do that need a proper manual ecu and tune

Thanks Delcowizzard,

I removed the manual ECU out of the commodore when i done the conversion, i have read a few threads on here about yourself doing tunes, would you be able to do this for me if i sent the computer to you or does it need to be done with comp in the car.

Also if error codes are turned off does that mean the engine warning light won't come on, because the engine warning light does come on after about 10/20 minutes of driving but i do believe that a couple sensors need replacing. I took car for a 200km round trip and it used half a tank, very unusual for my car.

menara200

menara200
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
I had the same problem withny vs when I was slowing down it kept stalling and the engine light would come on, I just changed an oxy sensor and it fixed it all, if you know sombody with a computer put it on see what it says

hdtkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commy
beno, whats the service number on your computer ? i just found out theres 2 for the manuals,

if you get the getrag one it still gives engine light isues. coz teh getrag uses simila sensor to the auto,
im trying to hunt down a genuine T5 pcm if that work ill let you know asap.

if not i have been told by holden to take my car to a tuner and get them to tune the memcal.

b and my vs commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs Excecutive 3.8l v6
I have exactly same prob with my car dieing at lites and intersections etc so if I change oxy sensor should this fix problem??

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
my conversion did this, realised i hjad the wrong computer plrugged in put the computer from a genuine manual and no problems after that

hdtkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commy
fonzo could you please post the service number and the first 4 numbers on the little pink conector so i can try and find the correct pcm as well. they are verry hard to find.

also did you keep the auto loom and did you change that to ?