Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs v6 overheating still

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
If you get the tridon brand temp sender the gauge will read higher than the OEM one from holdens...(depends on which tridon one you get, as there are 2 TS062 and TS064) Also the gauges are also prone to false readings....Best thing to do is find out were on the gauge the fan kicks in with aircon off..this is when the temp sensor for the pcm reads around 100 deg C ..On my car with the tridon sender my gauge is at the 115 deg point in the pic above but is actually only showing 102 deg c via the pcm(checked with an aldl diag cable)...so long as the temp drops when the fan kicks in and when driving,just use the gauge as a guide and enjoy the drive :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Factory thermofan settings turn the fan on @ 104°C

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I bleed the air from the system every time I open the system (ie even so much as removing the radiator cap)

The fan settings are in the chip/memcal aren't they ?

I've had a few vs's before this and I can't recall any of them running much past 1/4 temp no matter how hot it was outside
Do you put the heater on aswell?
As said buy the GM one SENDER TEMP. TO GAUGE 92061500

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
I think both the sensors were tridon ones :(
I've just been out and got an independent temp guage (saas one was all I was able to find) so that should give me a better idea on actual temp (any suggestions easiest point to run extra sensor wire through firewall ?)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The grommet for the clutch cable hole probably easiest.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I've just been out and got an independent temp guage (saas one was all I was able to find) so that should give me a better idea on actual temp
Good luck with it mate.
I`m like to know also.

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Update ,
Seems like the temp guage system is faulty
The saas guage was installed , most of the time while moving coolant temp reads 70-74 degrees (sender fitted in top radiator hose near radiator) . Once stopped /stationary it begins to rise , if left long enough it will rise to about 104-105 degrees which is when both the dash temp alarm starts sounding and the thermo fan kicks in , fab stays on until the temp drops back down to 101-102 like clockwork

Does this sound about normal ?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
for a vr yes, a vs no....sounds like your low speed fan isnt kicking in no idea what temp its suppose to come on though..

WOFTAM1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
From memory I think that is the factory temp range (or damn close to them) for the low speed fan , just thought I'd put results up and confirm it .

Just been busy of late putting in and wiring a ve power window switch , window module and re wiring the power mirrors to run off the switch also