Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 serpentine belt keeps slipping?

Jeff Owens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
After replacing both idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley, the serpentine belt is still slipping. The belt is slipping down on the harmonic balancer and creates the same sensation if you were driving in a too higher gear. I'm stuffed to know what to do next.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Can you explain it in more detail please - I cannot see how the belt can slip down on the harmonic balancer....maybe take a pix. When you say 'slip', do you mean it actually jumps one of the ridges?

Jeff Owens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks Hako, yeah I mean the belt is jumping ridges on the harmonic balancer causing it to move in the direction of the radiator.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Just to be 100% clear, have you replaced the tensioner arm assembly. The spring loaded one?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd check the A/C pulley as that's the pulley immediately ahead of the HB - if it's out, it will move the belt on the HB. Otherwise I cannot figure how this is happening. From memory, the belt goes from the A/C to the HB and then the PS.....so maybe check the PS pulleys well. Have you done anything to, or touched, either the PS or A/C pulleys?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The harmonic balancer is probably on its way out and is moving around a bit on the rubber that seperates the two parts of the balancer..

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
check the belt tension with your thumb,
i am having a similar issue, replaced thensior assembly and pulleys and it still squeled
now it comes and goes but is bearable, im thinking either waterpemp pully/bearing and alt.
My belt isnt moving away from the balancer like you say.

Jeff Owens

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
RX25SE: I have only replaced the bearing on the tensioner assembly.

Hako: I haven't touched the AC pulley at any stage but did have a reconditioned power steering pump fitted at the start of the year.

Brett JJJ: I'm thinking that maybe I should just replace the harmonic balancer as the car has over 200,00 k s on it.

Thanks guys for the advice.

rosscos stateo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V6
Hey mate, Check your belt is routed properly. I did the mother in laws pulleys once and put a new belt on. When I started it up it was slipping. While it looked like I put it on right, I went aroung the idler and power steering wrong.
Can you move the balancer with a screw driver back and forth? Is the belt chewing out on one side.
Another theory is check the belt for metal flakes in the ridges, we had a cummins engine that was losing the hardening off the balancer and the metal was sticking in the belt. So basically metal on metal and it slipped after a certain rev range. Done a few kays by then but.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
RX25SE: I have only replaced the bearing on the tensioner assembly.

I would replace the tensioner.
You need to drain the coolant (do a flush while your at it) to remove the heater pipe. Fit a new O ring (genuine) before you put it back on.