Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Transmission Problem

jonathanvb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec L67 + T5
I have a problem with the trans on my vs v6. There is no engine braking, ie when you are driving at say 40kmh and chop it into first. You can feel it go into first, but it wont engine brake, the revs just sit at just above idle and the vehicle just seems to roll. Everything else works perfectly, it just this. Anyone have any clues as too what this might be?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
do you have an aftermarket exhaust? If the exhaust is to big for the engine there will be no backpressure.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
when you say you feel it go into first wat do you mean?
cos if its only idling it obviously isnt in 1st.
why do you want to bang it in 1st at 40ks?
cos if your box/ converter arent already rooted this is just a fast track to make sure it will be..
yes engine braking may save your brakes but people never think that the cost of replacing brakes as to replacing a gearbox is quite a big difference.

[p]wrr-247

Mr14ry
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais v8
yer thats dumb i got a shift kit and dnt drop it back into first

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
lol at exhaust backpressure, that wont make **** all difference....., and if your going to fast it wont drop to first, stop, put in first, rev out ten see if it engine brakes

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
The rear spragg is broken. Just happened to me.

If you put it into first and it seems to roll, if you put ur foot down will it free rev and then just engage... does it depend on what speed you are doing?

Garantee its the Spragg, The cops were told to pull gears to save on pads and they used to break these all the time.
The 4l60 and 4l60e are just weak as piss internally.... I'll post up a pic of a new spragg and my broken one...

It's is effectively 2mm thick teeth slowing down the weight of the car, it's ridiculous...

Ben

Last edited:

jonathanvb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec L67 + T5
TrikkBen, that is exactly the problem, a picture would be a great help, thanks alot.

And for all other users I was only using the 1st gear as an example, I dont go around dropping it into first all the time..

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
A picture won't help you too much, the gearbox has to be taken out and given to a gearbox guy to fix.

I'll get a pic up for ya's tommoro

delfin82

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive s1/ vz berlina
Could be the spragg, or the overun friction clutch gone.

rowinskii

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina
hey mate i had the same problem! i had to end up getting pretty much everything replaced in the trans.

New clutch plates servos everything due to that breaking! Get it done before its too late!