Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v8 ignition timing

cannibalrikman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs maloo
Hey commodore fans could someone clarify which mark on the block is 10 degrees BTDC. I can see the timing marks but I'm not sure which one is ten. I can see the TDC mark and the advance and retard marking. There are 4 little marks then a large mark, are these little marks 2 degrees each and the large one 10 degrees? Any pics or diagrams would be good. Cheers.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
yep u got it right. 2 deg per mark and the big one is 10 degrees

deanos70

Reaction score
on the topic
on the balancer you have the markings TC or 0 then to the left is 10 then to the right of TC you have numbered from 10 upwards
exatcly what mark on the balancer should line up with the long mark on the front of the block as in pic in this thread

geez i hope that makes sense
also shouldnt the timing be set with pins 5 & 6 bridged out on the diagnostic connector

Attachments

• timing mark.JPG
    timing mark.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 7,847

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like you have confused everyone. The large mark on the engine scale is TDC (top dead centre) or zero degrees. That's when the piston is at its highest point on the compression stroke. The marks to the left are the advanced marks before TDC (BTDC) in increments of two degrees. Normal static ignition timing of 10 degrees BTDC would have the arrow on the balancer pointing to the fifth mark towards the left (from the large mark) when the spark plugs are fired. The marks to the right are the retarded marks ATDC or after top dead centre - not sure when (if ever) they are used.

deanos70

Reaction score
Thanks BlackVXGTS

mate i confuse myself all the time let alone any other poor bugger i talk too :hmmm:

thanks for your post i appreciate the help

but just to make sure i have it right,
in diagnostic mode the the arrow on the balancer should be pointing at the timing mark i have arrowed in the pic

thanks again

Attachments

• timing mark 2.jpg
    timing mark 2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 17,793

cannibalrikman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs maloo
Thanks fellas for your help. I could have been a little clearer about the marks. Dirt drifter got what I was getting at. Cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Thanks BlackVXGTS mate i confuse myself all the time let alone any other poor bugger i talk too :hmmm: thanks for your post i appreciate the help but just to make sure i have it right, in diagnostic mode the the arrow on the balancer should be pointing at the timing mark i have arrowed in the pic
thanks again

That's correct. Spot on.

deanos70

Reaction score
Thanks BlackVXGTS

much appreciated, will get it done on the weekend

cheers

eko

3kO
Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to own vb commy end of year
Once its advanced and sitting on 10btdc is there anything else to do what would the revs sit on once advanced to 10btdc on a manual

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Jumper the diagnostic plug so it can be set to 10° BTDC, set it, then remove the jumper.
If you just spin the dizzy while it's idling in normal mode it's not going to be anywhere near correct.