Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V8 ute not starting..... please help

ts_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII S 5l Ute
MAP sensor wouldn't stop the spark would it? From what I understood it was a pressure sensor for the inside of the motor, and thanks for the price check, very much apriciated

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Does the rotor button spin when the engine is cranked over?

ts_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII S 5l Ute
I can't check ATM Brett I towed the thing to the mechanics, sorta my daily driver do I need it fixed ASAP, sorta ripped the fiberglass bumper off while towing it ( all the pedestrians wouldn't have noticed but I'm pretty sure my cursing let NZ know about it lol), I'll check it tomorrow when at smoko the mechanics is across the road from work :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure that the leads are attached correctly as per the attached diagram. As another post has suggested you need to check that the distributor has not shifted which will give you incorrect timing. Make sure your mechanic adjusts the timing to 10 degrees BTDC in diagnostic mode ie. with pins 5&6 connected on the OBD connector. If that doesn't work you are looking at replacing the coil and/or ignition module. Ignition module is easier to change but more expensive, coil is a b-stard of a job but relatively cheap to purchase (don't buy it from Holden - good Bosch coils are half the price elsewhere.

Attachments

• V8 Distributor & Leads.jpg
    V8 Distributor & Leads.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 935

ts_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII S 5l Ute
Cheers gts, funnily enough, that's the exact diagram I used off another thread :), been doin a bit of research and under load my car would stutter at about 2500rpm, I figured this was the leads or sparkies but upon further research the coil can also cause this ie: simptoms of it dieting, I got 1
On order from repco ATM due in tomorrow ( fingers crossed...) and I'll do that myself out the front of his shop and if that doesn't do it (once again fingers crossed) its gotta be the module, I've come to the conclusion at the dizzy is in good order as it did start even though it was only 30 sec maybe a squirt of wd40 of anything, but I will change the coil tomorrow and later in the week (pay day) I'll order and ign mod so there's no other possibility for failure in the near future, also the mechanics fair old school and can depict timing by sound (the mrs cruiser is a regular for that, the blokes fair gifted lol). Thanks everyone for all the help, everything was very appreciated, all a learning experience for me thanks again :)

ts_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII S 5l Ute
Haha coils on a diet lol dieing*

VS-THE-BEST

Reaction score
Members Ride
97VS HSV CLUBSPORT
Yeh the MAP is for fuel only. If it is not connected it allows the motor to overfuel and runs sick.

ts_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII S 5l Ute
Sorry to extend this thread into something that's been covered, I changed my coil today and I'm sorta stumped, there is a red wire to positive and a brown to the negative, now on the old coil there was also a black wire on the positive but with the new spot where I mounted the coil it can't reach, I want to know what that wire is, my brains telling me it's the speedo but i know that runs off the diff, would this wire be important?

ts_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII S 5l Ute
Bit the bullet, got the old coil out, mounted the new where the old was, bam starts, cheers everyone for the help :)

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Bit the bullet, got the old coil out, mounted the new where the old was, bam starts, cheers everyone for the help :)

You take your car to a mechanic that sets timing by ear on an EFI car ? No. Do what the VXGTS bloke said.

Last edited: