Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VS - VY Series 2 Inlet Manifold Gasket Replacement 6hr+ (Includes Pics)

Caprice5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VXII Berlina
If you don't get a tune to suit the lower temp thermo it is indeed useless.

Didnt know i needed a retune. Thanks for the info. Wont bother, ill pull it out soon. 82deg thermostat for sale anyone?

azzaVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wagon S1
Much thanks to the OP, Hot_Rod, for this really good "how to"; it was better and easier to follow than my dog eared and grease stained old Gregory's/Haines manual.

Thought I'd botched the job though, when the idle was high and the cooling fans were blowing flat out (engine cold) with the check engine light on... coz I'd forgotten to plug the temperature sensor back in, after unplugging it to get more clearance of the wiring loom when removing the manifold assembly. All good though, and driving better than it has in 2 years!

I had issues with the LPG setup and idle speed in general ,and whilst cleaning the PCV valve helped a little, it wasn't until oil became visible in the radiator that I found out that the inlet manifold gaskets are a common issue on the Ecotec. I had two rotten inlet ports and one water gallery between the 2 gaskets, with oil leaks at front and rear of the engine.

Long story short.... if you're having idle issues, and it hasn't already been done, changing the inlet manifold gaskets should be high on your "things to do list".

jarred_gates01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubby
their is a much easier way to what has been written, you don't need to take the plenum apart or pull your injectors out, just unplug the injectors, take out the 12 bolts for your manifold and the whole manifold will come off with plenum and everything still together, can leave fuel rail connected and just turn upside down and place in engine bay or unplug and can take it out, either way only gaskets you will need besides manifold gasket is the thermostat gasket and couple of o rings for when you pull your belt tensioner off

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
The two small straight silicone or rubbery gaskets are different in the kit I was supplied for my VT. I am now stuck half way thru the job. I notice now looking here that some kits come with both types of these gaskets.
They should ALL come with both types just in case these days given most cars have had a replacement unknown model ecotec engine fitted.

The original gaskets at each end have the locating bits that fit into the 2 holes, and the ones I was supplied are smaller with no locating nipples.
Can I still fit these or do I need to get the same ones that were in it?

smokey1963

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore 2000
Hi Paul
how did you go work it out? I am due to do mine soon I live in Morayfield also

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This "how to" mentions how tight the inlet manifold bolts should be tightened up to, but doesnt mention tightening the inlet manifold bolts in the correct tightening sequence. Not following the correct tightening sequence can cause the alloy inlet manifold to warp or cause the inlet manifold gaskets to crack or otherwise fail prematurely.. Most cylinder heads and manifolds etc must be tightened up in the correct sequence..

Attachments

• Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 1,667

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
Hi Paul
how did you go work it out? I am due to do mine soon I live in Morayfield also

Had to go back to Supercheap and get the correct gasket set.
About $70.
Fitted the whole set easily.
The milky brown crap in the radiator is gone too now which is good.
Just went for a drive to Woolgoolga NSW and back. Around 800klm. Amazing difference to fuel economy. I stopped at North Lakes to fill up again on the way back and the trip meter said 755 klm's traveled with 55k's to empty.
My car is a wagon with the smaller fuel tank I believe, so very worthwhile repair all in all.

Will be interesting when we make a plenum spacer to see what that does ;)

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Is it possible to tell if my engine has the plastic or aluminium gasket just by looking from the outside ?

If I'm going in to put a MACE Manifold Insulator in I was thinking I should put in good manifold gaskets, but I need to know ahead of time if I need to order them !

This job is more involved than I was thinking. My brain is still in 'old school land' inline 6 where inlet manifolds sit on the side.

thanks.

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
No, not until you pull the intake off.

Prolly the hardest part is removing the fuel lines near the firewall.
Once you have done them once though it is easier.
I used a new nozzle from a silicone cartridge with the thread part cut off and sliced with a stanley blade lengthwise as the tool to remove the fuel hoses.
It can then be slipped over the metal fuel line and pushed up to release the fitting. Don't forget to relieve the pressure in the fuel line first.

Otherwise the job is pretty straight forward.
It does take most of the day to do the job.

I'd be happy to help in some way Smokey1963