Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VS - VY Series 2 Inlet Manifold Gasket Replacement 6hr+ (Includes Pics)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I did it for years without and never had much issue bleeding the old V6 but these days I use one of these and it makes it mess free.
81IGFvaAmOL._SX466_.jpg

I think supercheap sells a copy.

Thanks for the pic, I never knew these kits existed. They look brill and yes no more mess. Next SCA 25% off day I will be adding one to my shopping list.

joshvsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs povvo pack ute
Gday fellas, I’ll try to keep this short, fitted new lim gasket yesterday, test drove today, all was well until it come up to temp, spent about 5 minutes revving itself to 2500 while I was driving around, then the engine warning light comes on and it drops to an “idle” fluctuating between about 1400 and 1600, used brake clean to tidy up throttle body etc while it was all apart, any ideas? Cheers

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Gday fellas, I’ll try to keep this short, fitted new lim gasket yesterday, test drove today, all was well until it come up to temp, spent about 5 minutes revving itself to 2500 while I was driving around, then the engine warning light comes on and it drops to an “idle” fluctuating between about 1400 and 1600, used brake clean to tidy up throttle body etc while it was all apart, any ideas? Cheers
Any codes?

joshvsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs povvo pack ute
Didn’t look Trevor, had the shits so I parked it up and cracked a can. Will have a look tomorrow arvo at what it flashes up, cheers

joshvsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs povvo pack ute
Couldn’t help myself. Error 19 TPS stuck, can you clean the TPS or is worth replacing?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
First off, check and double check the work you have done. You can probably remember the wires etc you touched. Double check them and any around.

If that fails, the always handy Gregorys has a checking procedure on page 122. It just goes through a voltage check . It does say to check "for binding throttle cable or cruise control cable or a sticking throttle linkage". It says it will register the error 19 if the signal from the TPS stays the same, even when the manifold vacuum and RPM are changing (sticking open).

May I suggest, with the car turned off, just getting a friend to push the accelerator pedal slowly right down, while you watch and make sure the cables are not sticking/catching on anything. Gregorys just goes on to say, if no fault found, replace TPS.

You will hopefully find the fault in something I have written above, but just something else to keep in the back of your mind, the coolant temp sensor taps off one of the wires from the TPS. If you still cant find a problem, maybe have a look at that one. Sometimes, there are numerous sensors in a circuit. It may look like one is playing up, when it is really another causing it to muck up.

Did you lose the little black adapter sheath that sits over the little metal bit? a lot of people accidently knock them off and don't realise they need it, make sure all plugs connectors are tight.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
I am in the process of replacing the intake manifold gaskets on a 2003 vy, The problem I have is that the pcv valve sits in the lower manifold with a spring on top. The spring protrudes about 6 millimetres from the face of the manifold. The plenum then fits on top of this but is recessed to a depth of about 25 millimetres. There appears to be nothing stopping the spring and pcv valve moving up into the recess. What am I missing?

I have noticed that too and measured mine at 10mm above the manifold and 22mm in the recess so the spring has 12mm free space, so why have a O-ring on the PCV?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
O ring stops air leaking around the outside of the pcv valve. The pcv system is effectively a controlled air leak that bypasses the throttle body.

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
O ring stops air leaking around the outside of the pcv valve. The pcv system is effectively a controlled air leak that bypasses the throttle body.

Thanks for replying,

All true but if the PCV can move up and down 12mm freely there's nothing for the O-ring to seal on if it's just gravity keeping it there..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
When the plenum is bolted on it should be held in place with the spring between the base of the plenum and pcv valve.