Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Wouldn't start

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Couldn't get my VS started tonight and thought I was stranded. There was spark so I thought it was a fuel problem but I thought I'd try resetting the computer first out of desperation. Disconnected the battery and reconnected after a few minutes and it roared into life.

Any thoughts? Do the ECU's just "die" or could it be something else?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could just be a "one off" and never happen again...if it happens again try do a codes check before you disconnect the battery. Is your battery over 3 years old?

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
The battery is only a couple of days old, had a dodgy cheap one in there and it wasn't holding charge, hence the new one. It's done it once before and today it started idling rough.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
pulled off the injector plugs one by one and cylinder four isn't doing anything.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Noticed I was losing coolant as well and what was left in the radiator is brown and sludgy.

Cylinder four is only missing intermittently and when it does, this is when it heats up and starts losing coolant. Tried some Bars Stop Leak and it ran sweet and stayed cold all the way up the freeway then as soon as I stopped at the lights on the off ramp - up goes the temp gauge and running rough.

Been searching through threads here for similar problems and what I've come up with is the intake manifold gasket, would this sound like a fair diagnosis?

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
F***ing thing wouldn't start again today. Plenty of kick in the battery and there's spark that I can see.

Has ANYONE got a suggestion? I'm meant to be at work again.. feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall here.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
I would do a compression test. Sounds like you may have a blown head gasket.

The non starting issue was co-incidental. Turns out it's the key, have another key and it starts no worries.

Seems odd that it would be a head gasket, shouldn't there be water in the oil? I've blown head gaskets on two different vehicles and ended up with chocolate milk on the dipstick both times. On this VS the oil is clean.

It's odd, I managed to drive a fair distance and the motor stayed nice and cool, coming home last night I pulled off the freeway and up went the temp and cold air was blowing from the heater vent. When it started running rough, the only cylinder not firing was number 4.

Barto76

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Liftback 2.0 Diesel
Ran some more Bars through it yesterday and have cylinder 4 back, it's running smooth again so hopefully that'll hold until I get time off to get to a mechanic.