Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt 3.8 droning vibration after replacing engine mounts

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
are aftermarket (repco) solid rubber engine mounts less effective at reducing vibration than factory hydraulic mounts

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
did u do the trans mount aswell?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Yep sure are, they use the hydraulic ones from factory so you should stick to them.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
yes,i didnt do them myself,they were done by my local mechanic who i've been using for 12yrs.in the past he's been brilliant but i think that this time he' stuffed up.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
thanks mate i guess i just wanted to hear someone else say what i have suspected.my car's done over 350,000 k's and i've spent plenty on it over the years to keep it running great but i think my mechanic must be going through some sort of mid life crisis because cos the last couple of jobs he's done have been not quite up to what i've expected eg my transmission was running pretty crappy so he told me i needed a recon one but thanks to this site i tried other things and eventually simply replaced plugs,leads and coils with genuine parts and the problem was solved.that was 50,00 ks ago

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
VT's don't use hydraulic mounts, they're solid rubber. As suggested, whats the condition of your trans mount? Your old engine mounts had likely sagged quite a bit so check you exhaust is not rubbing anywhere also.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
problem solved.replaced the solid rubber mounts with genuine hydraulic mounts -- no droning--thanks for comments