Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5.0 warning lights appear when driving

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Ive also got a VT 5.0 manual SS.

Its started bringing the warning lights up like youve just started it and the fan comes on but it happens when at idle or lower revs, even at 60km/h sometimes.

Its sitting there idling, the revs drop for a split second and all the warning lights come up like when they come up after the motor has just been started. At the same time the fan comes on but turns off after about 10 seconds. Sometimes they will come on when driving.

Also sometimes when it happens it gives a big miss usually when your at cruise speed.

Any ideas? Its not bringing any DTC's up either although i may have wiped them accidently when diagnosing with EFILive.

Not being familiar with the 8's yet but familiar with the 6's its the symptoms of an ABS module. But why the miss?

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
When the lights come on next time like airbag, oil etc, unplug your ABS Module and if everything disappears but the ABS, Track Low & Track Off light still appear then it's your ABS Module that's stuffed and needs replacing.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Yeah they are different. If it is the abs module don't go out and buy a brand new one from holden($700+), there's guys on ebay and even locally that can fix it up for you for less than $200 on an exchange basis. Worked for me.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Been driving around with the ABS module off.

Ok last night at the lights it stopped again.

After i re-started it i noticed the radio had reset!

Now its starting to make sense.

Thats why i thought it was a miss when it happened while driving. The motor must actually stop, but because its manual it clutch starts again because its in gear hence why all the reds come on like you've just started it...

Anyway ive now got to look for a loose battery cable or something. Its losing all power and shutting off the WHOLE car.

The battery harness was replaced about a year ago but maybe it could be a loose relay or fusebox or something?

Prolly just gonna have to jiggle everything around while the engine is running.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just had an auto-electrician look at it, charged me $100 to tell me he doesnt know.

Atleast he confirmed my suspicion of the main power cable shorting on something.

Or is it? It only seems to be happening when the revs drop as you change gears. Its like the voltage drops rediculously as the revs drop to the point where there isnt enough power to run anything. I wouldnt have thought that the radio would reset though...

He also said it could be the diode in the alternator.

I dunno, i can see how it could be a short but why would it only short for a second everytime then go away?

The other thing yesterday was i turned the ignition on and notied the reds were barely on. Thought it was a flat battery but then they instantly lit up bright again. Happened in about 4 seconds or so.