Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt 5l alternator overcharging

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
hi 99% certain my alternator is overcharging as my battery is boiling, wondering if I change the voltage regulator will this fix the issue? I can’t source an alternator locally and I need to get to work

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Replacing the voltage regulator should fix it.

Nictheladytradie

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS 3.8L wagon
"wondering if I change the voltage regulator will this fix the issue? "

I am not a mechanic so i don't know what some parts are officially called or referred to but im fairly handy at fixing cars from trial and error and I'm keen to learn so i apologise if my question seems silly!
. First question, is the voltage regulator the small box at the back of the alternator held in place with two screws, is about the size of a matchbox and has the two retractable prongs that slide into the alternator?

I had the same issue with batteries boiling in my 01 vx executive 6cyl. Not long after i went thru 2 batteries and then the small box i described above off the back of the alternator was replaced, within doing about 100kms of round town driving the starter motor blew and had visible signs it may be the culprit of an electrical fault i believe was responsible for boiling the battery based on how cooked it looked! !

Perhaps keep an eye on the starter motor if you haven't already solved the boiled battery mystery :)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
. First question, is the voltage regulator the small box at the back of the alternator held in place with two screws, is about the size of a matchbox and has the two retractable prongs that slide into the alternator? :)
Yes it is.

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
"wondering if I change the voltage regulator will this fix the issue? "

I am not a mechanic so i don't know what some parts are officially called or referred to but im fairly handy at fixing cars from trial and error and I'm keen to learn so i apologise if my question seems silly!
. First question, is the voltage regulator the small box at the back of the alternator held in place with two screws, is about the size of a matchbox and has the two retractable prongs that slide into the alternator?

I had the same issue with batteries boiling in my 01 vx executive 6cyl. Not long after i went thru 2 batteries and then the small box i described above off the back of the alternator was replaced, within doing about 100kms of round town driving the starter motor blew and had visible signs it may be the culprit of an electrical fault i believe was responsible for boiling the battery based on how cooked it looked! !

Perhaps keep an eye on the starter motor if you haven't already solved the boiled battery mystery :)

yeh mate this was my issue, but my alternator was completely roasted so had to change the whole thing haha $600 dollars down the drain as i couldn't source a second hand one :(

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Brand new 5 yr warranty which is longer then genuine

$179

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/111262684044
Careful with those! They only put out around 30a at idle which is nowhere near enough for a VT. They slot in alright, but not rated the same as the Bosch units. I too would've grabbed a second hand Bosch one. They are out there.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just a heads up it was. Just a very quick search

I was wanting to change mine which i did, genuine for mine off ebay but some mechanics wanted like $400+ just for the alternator

So bought mine ebay and got someone to install