Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Airbag light stays on.

Rod Hirst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim 3.8
My airbag light stays on after starting car and beeps three times repeatedly,eventually it goes out after 5 or more ks of driving. Have heard it could be caused by the seat belt pretensioner.
After disconnecting both battery terminals and leaving for a day or two ,can i disconnect the green plug with metal clip to clean the terminals(i am assuming this is the pretensioner plug) without causing any issues ,like airbag deployment or error codes etc????

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
If you unplug or have a dodgy connector or wire is caught in seat rail, that error will occur if your seat has side airbag. (Do you have airbag sticker on B pillar?)
Yes, always disconnect car battery for an hour before removing your seat.
Could also be the dreaded ABS module causing gremlins.
Disconnect the big plug in the engine bay.

Rod Hirst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim 3.8
If you unplug or have a dodgy connector or wire is caught in seat rail, that error will occur if your seat has side airbag. (Do you have airbag sticker on B pillar?)
Yes, always disconnect car battery for an hour before removing your seat.
Could also be the dreaded ABS module causing gremlins.
Disconnect the big plug in the engine bay.

Rod Hirst

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Acclaim 3.8
Yes i have the side airbags ,and yes SRS is on B pillar outside. I have just purchased an SRS diagnostic scanner with ALDL cable from Envyous Customs plus the advanced engine diagnostics as well so i should get an idea once its delivered where the problem is situated hopefully.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Hey, be sure to let us know if that cable works.

If moisture or drinks are spilt on those connectors, or oxidation on contacts.... there is a battery terminal aerosol spray that eats that oxidation and Jaycar have a contact grease (not dielectric grease) that will fix it.

But if the problem is a gremlin from ABS module, you'll have to unplug the large ABS module plug in the engine bay and see how the car runs without the abs plugged in.

Demonvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina commodore series 2
Hey, be sure to let us know if that cable works.

If moisture or drinks are spilt on those connectors, or oxidation on contacts.... there is a battery terminal aerosol spray that eats that oxidation and Jaycar have a contact grease (not dielectric grease) that will fix it.

But if the problem is a gremlin from ABS module, you'll have to unplug the large ABS module plug in the engine bay and see how the car runs without the abs plugged in.

My 99 vt airbag light came on when I spilt a drink on the passenger seat so I went get second hand seats which were near brand new replaced the seats did the battery thing and I’m still getting my airbag light is it worth doing a ecu reset or take it to someone who has a snapon scanner cause all other scanners won’t access it it’s an ex police car and I’ve been told that’s why I can’t get into the computer to check codes

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Airbag light won't reset automatically by resolving the issue

Requires a tech2 scan tool or similiar to force the reset.

Demonvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina commodore series 2
Airbag light won't reset automatically by resolving the issue

Requires a tech2 scan tool or similiar to force the reset.

ok so take to the mechanic with the scan tool would be my option