Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt auto in a vr?

corkos vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
hi how you all going just a quick question i have just done the auto in my vr and can only get a vt auto at the moment will that work or will i have a few complications trying to get it in there and working properly? please help! oh and does anyone know where i could get a vr box from for cheap im on a budget and need one fast!!!! thanks adam

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Probally the wrong section to post this mate, but if youve done your tranny you could possibly look at getting one from the local wreckers, they would more than likely have one laying about, however the quality could be questionable. Other than that you could look at rebuilding.

I dont think a VT transmission will just slot in and start working however i could be wrong.

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Get a second hand box from the wreckers. If you have a 4HDD get a 5HDD, they're a later model box for the VR and probably have less usage.

A good box should last forever if you keep it serviced and don't flog it while it's cold, and a trans cooler extends the life too.

Unless you can find a VR for wrecking in the paper, or someone you know has one you will have to go through a wrecking yard and pay between $500-700 depending on where you are.

My 2nd box cost be $650 from a wreckers 9 months ago and then another $120 to get it put in as I didn't want the hassle, and it runs great, I'm due to service it soon.

Matt0

Reaction score
If you get one from a quality wrecker, they should guarantee the box at least to be in good working order when put in or they should tell you to bring it back. I bought a 5 speed once and he said if it's no good then bring it back. I put it in and it felt like a new gearbox.