Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Berlina engine problems

cobbsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wagon
Hey,

On Monday when I was driving to work i noticed that when I was on the freeway going 100k's that when I accelerated the engine started making this clunking noise and as time went on the noise became more obvious. Then eventually the engine began to loose power so I pulled off and as I was exiting the freeway the car died altogether so I pulled over to the side of the road. I went to try start the car again but it wouldn't turn on, it sounded like it was struggling. When I then got out and lifted up the bonnet I could smell smoke and there was a significant amount of black smoke coming from just under were you put the oil in (I don't much about cars). I then had to get the car toed to my house, luckily it was free due to RACV. Several hours later when Dad got home the car did start but it sounded really rough and the engine moved around a lot.

Before this incident the car had been going through a substantial amount of petrol, needed to be filled up with coolant once a fortnight or else it would overheatalso went through oil quite quickly.

So yea, I was wondering if anybody knew the reasons for this happening to the car? what could be done to fix the problem? and how much the problem would cost to fix? (Our family has been going to the same mechanic for decades and he has always been good).

Your guys help will be greatly appreciated as my car is booked in Monday to be looked at and i'm stressed about all of this.

Cheers.

cobbsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wagon
oh thanks mate, your help has meant a lot.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
drain the oil and look for pieces of metal. cut open the oil filter as well and see whats inside. Sounds like the engine has lunched itself.