Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Berlina Missing

Noodl321

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina VT 1998 3.8l
Hi ladies and gents,

poured over a few other posts but couldnt really see anything that might help me with my issue,

I have a 98 VT berlina... the problems im noticing now are...

when idle about 800 rpm its a bit rough, now from memory it use to idle at 1000rpm, this would suggest 1 cycinder not working?

when im driving on the Motorway at 100km/h the rpm is about 1800 , i thought it used to be 2000rpm...

when on motorway or general road , going up slight hill with just continuious accelerator (meaning i dont put my foot down, leave the accelerator at the same level as cruizing on flat road, then headding up a small hill...) i can feel the car say surging, like the cylinder cuts in and then out..

if i put my foot down.. i get all the power (well i think i do)

so what i plan on doing is replacing the spark plugs this weekend.. i will look for oil on the plugs, asuming that doesnt fix the issue , where do you think i should go next?

i dont know if this has reference but somtimes when i start the car from the time i turn the key to "start" and from ignition to start car... there about a 1-2 second delay.. and then she fires, this was happening for about 1 month, and now its stopped... but come back now and then, i was just thinking faulty starter motor.

Maxseverity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
your starter motor is on its way out. cant help with cylinder problem sorry coz same thing happens to mine.

bundy_boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
It should be idling at around 750rpm give or take 50 when at operating temperature and should feel smooth, even with the air con on.

Noodl321

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina VT 1998 3.8l
It should be idling at around 750rpm give or take 50 when at operating temperature and should feel smooth, even with the air con on.

Well at the moment it is idleing around there, but im sure it used to idle around 1000 rpm, but maybe im wrong? however at 800 rpm now it seams rougher than normal...

im obviously going to do all the general checks this weekend, eg change spark plugs and check coils etc.. but just wondered if anyone knew exactly what it was... .. the major pro is when driving and how it kinda surges going up a hill and even somtimes flat , but mainly hill

also anyone know of a great parts place that doesnt charge the earth, resonable and good service

Maxseverity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
my car shudders occasionally when idling. like as if the engine nearly shuts down and then it kicks back in. like when your in a gear too high and try take off in a manual. =S