Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT brake light doesn't work when headlights are on

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Hey

I recently had some repair work done to the back of my VT (someone ran up the back of me and caused $11500 of damage, it’s a long story).

Anyway, tonight I realized that my right brake light doesn’t work. When I inspected the problem further I realized that when I turn my lights off the brake light works fine. What would cause it to work when the headlights/parkers are off but not work when they are on (note that the parker light goes out also when I use the brakes). I don’t think it would be a short because I would have blown a fuse or something.

I’m going to get onto the people that fixed my car to fix it but I’d like to have some idea of what could be wrong first. If it’s something simple I’ll just fix it myself.

Any help appreciated

Phil

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
you have an earth problem, probably in the taillight harness

Rob

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yes it the wiring bit that holds the globes in

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
take it back and get them to fix it properly.

m0zzaVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
yah i had the same problem with my dads VT. dunno what caused it but the bracket which holds the bulb was abit dodgy, all i did was go to the wreckers and find another bracket. cut the wires that are on it then solder the new bracket on. works a treat now . lol dodgy but meh