Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Brake Upgrade on VS

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

I have a set of DBA 4000 series wiper slot rotors that I bought for my WH Statesman, I never got the chance to put them on so they are just sitting in my garage, so I was wondering if they would fit on my VS with no modifications to the hub? If so, I might just fit the rotors on my VS instead and get the VT calipers and brake hoses.

Thanks.

Part number of the rotors DBA4040SL and DBA4040SR

Last edited:

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
The rotors will bolt straight up. Exactly the same mounts etc, just a bigger/thicker disc. However, be warned that if you put the VT discs/calipers on, you're going to have a spongy pedal with a fair bit of ineffective travel (free pedal) as the Master Cylinder is too small and won't push the appropriate flow through.

The VS Booster is the second problem. Being a plastic single diaphragm unit, it also doesn't generate the required pressure for the larger twin piston calipers.

You have two options:

1. Run VT Discs, VT Calipers, VT master cylinder and use a Master Cylinder adaptor from Race Brakes Sydney which will sit between the base of the VT M/C and the VS Booster. This will improve pedal feel but will still have a fairly spongy pedal with a tiny bit of free travel at the top of the pedal.

2. Run the above setup but with a VT Booster with a custom mounting bracket to fit the VT Booster onto the firewall (different mounting style) these can be sourced from fellow JC member MarkoVR. The pedal mounting point on the Booster pushrod also needs relocating which is a fairly simple task of welding up the old hole and re-drilling it.

Believe me, I've gone through all the possible VT upgrade setups on my VS and I never recommend anyone do anything but the full system upgrade including the VT Booster.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Or an easier option is to sell your rotors and buy the VE spec upgrade.

298 or 322mm curve slot and dimpled rotors, VE calipers, VE pads, brake lines, brake fluid and all mounting hardware. $795 shipped to your door.

No need to change the master cylinder or booster as the pistons are a smaller diameter than the VT calipers so they displace less fluid.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Ok all that makes sense :)

If I was to get the VE brake upgrade would everything still bolt up the same? I found a kit on eBay for $880 brand is RDA. I would post up the link but I'm on my iPhone and I'm not sure how to.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do that exact same kit for $795 shipped.

Everything bolts straight up, there are brackets that fit the calipers to the existing mounts, and the calipers actually mount the opposite to what is cast into the caliper as they fit on the rear of the rotor instead of the front like the VE, this is to put the bleeder at the top where it is supposed to be.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I do that exact same kit for $795 shipped.

Everything bolts straight up, there are brackets that fit the calipers to the existing mounts, and the calipers actually mount the opposite to what is cast into the caliper as they fit on the rear of the rotor instead of the front like the VE, this is to put the bleeder at the top where it is supposed to be.

What about the wheel hub? When I bought the WM Caprice wheels, I had to get them machined to fit over the hub, will the rotors fit over the hub? Also do you have the rear brakes and rotors as well? I was thinking of changing all brakes.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes, the rotors will fit straight over the hub, they are specially made to suit the VS hub and VE calipers.

I can do the rear rotors in the same pattern and pads for $225.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Yes, the rotors will fit straight over the hub, they are specially made to suit the VS hub and VE calipers.

I can do the rear rotors in the same pattern and pads for $225.

Ok, I am interested in buying the front and rear sets off you but I wouldn't be able to do it until January or February.

Is that $795 for the 322mm or 298mm? (I would want to get the 322mm). And how many mm is the rear rotors? I already have 18 inch rims so there shouldn't be any problems with wheel to caliper clearance.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
FYI

VT discs have a 71.5mm center bore.
VS is 70.0mm.
VT discs require a shim to center the disc on the VS hub.

After all that, I would go VE as I have VT's on my VS and personally, I wouldn't bother.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
FYI

VT discs have a 71.5mm center bore.
VS is 70.0mm.
VT discs require a shim to center the disc on the VS hub.

After all that, I would go VE as I have VT's on my VS and personally, I wouldn't bother.

Yeah thanks for that mate, I have decided i'm going to get the VE upgrade instead of VT. Like Not_An_Abba_Fan said, with the VE upgrade, you don't have to change the brake master cylinder or brake booster so that saves some time and money :)