Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais 5L wont start

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
I just talked to the mechanic on the phone and he said that with it showing a error code of 31 that it is most likely the key is causing the issue and to start off with a new key, which is something i need anyway cause when i bought it it only came with 1 key, so ill go off to mister minit on wednesday and get a new one key and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help guys, very much apprieciated :)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Good luck with it. Let us know how you go.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Could be the key

Could also be a bad earth contact on the key.

Picture below is the original key internals (i have a spare genuine now), see the key earth (the thingy sticking out with hole, on mine for some reason, it lost contact properly with the keyhead, causing it not to start.
See also that metal code sender, mine was hell loose and hence also caused grief as also dry solder/loose solders from the battery mount points.

Soooo many other things could be as well. I hope its the key though

rep1.jpg

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Cheers Nut Kracker, thanks for your help mate.

Thats a good pic uniacidz, im hoping its the key to, i might pull mine apart after i get the new one and check out the insides of it, is there a trick to it and do they go back together ok? I remember trying to pop my old VS one apart a few years ago but i was to scared to break it.

I havent tried to start the car today but yesterday it was like it never even happened, maybe resetting everything might of fixed it to. Im going to get the new key tomorrow arvo so fingers crossed, even if it isnt the key i needed to get another one anyway cause i only have the one so its a good excuse to do that. Ill give it a few days and let ya's know how it goes.

Thanks again for the help.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Got the new key remote today, i only got the remote done because the guy at the mister minit told me that sometimes a new key can collapse the barrel and he doesnt recommend doing it so rather than run the risk i just got the remote done. All seems to be good, it paired with the car no worries so fingers crossed its good for now :)

Bad news though, i took it into the mechanic to get a small leak checked and my air conditioner compressor is leaking and also the steering rack and the high pressure hose on it has a leak and need to be replaced eventually. Does anyone know what soughta prices im looking at for those parts? i had a quick look on Ebay but its kinda all over.

Other than that though he said its all good :)

sicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 98 hsv clubsport
does youre key open the car with the button sometimes. i have same problem 12 92 31 and 35 i every forum i read like this has the same codes it could be the bcm or key as im trying to still work it out .

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Hey sicksix,

yes my key still did open the door, the key worked perfectly still except it wouldnt start the car, the key might of had trouble on the odd occasion with open the door but on the day car wouldnt start it was opening and closing the doors without an issue. If i were you next time you have an issue reset the ECU/PCM and then reset the BCM aswell and see if that works.

Cheers mate

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
A very reliable source once told me that removing the fuel pump relay for a few seconds also resets the BCM.
Don't ask me how it does it..........

sicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 98 hsv clubsport
yer i will give it ago i havent tried that yet its in the mechanics he is trying to figure it out. but it keeps starting so his going to weight for it to stop starting he dosent think its the bcm its got me beat he thinks it might be the starter motor.i will let you guys know what the out come is .

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Thats interesting Nut Kracker

I got no idea ay sicksix, mine didnt show up error code 35 (Idle speed error) and i had issues checking the codes, for some reason the car wouldnt run the diagnostic but it eventually started and then i turned it off and checked them and found codes 31 and 92, then i reset the ECU and it has been running great ever since, my mechanic said the best place for me to start would be a new key because like you when its running he cant really find the problem and the symptoms i described sounded alot like when he had a lady in a couple of weeks earlier in a VT and she went home and got her spare key and the problems havent happened sinc. The guy at mister minit said that usually the only thing that goes wrong with the keys is the battery and i would have trouble opening the doors, which i didnt have, but i needed to get a new one done anyway cause i only had one key for the car and i ended up just getting the new remote because the guy in mister minit said that the VT ignition barrels can collapse if i stuck a brand new key in there, he said he didnt know why it happens and the VT's are the only ones that do it so i decided not to risk it for now. I havent started the car today but it drove up to the mechanics yesterday perfectly and didnt skip a beat with the new key on the way home (30-40min trips each way).

Goodluck with it though mate and lets us know what it turns out to be mate, hopefully its something simple and if you wanna know anything more just ask mate.

Cheers