Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais - Problem replacing subs with 6x9's

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
I recently upgraded the speakers in the doors but when i enquired about the subs was told they dont make 8" free to airs and to replace with a good set of 6X9 or 7x10s. I purchased the 6x9 MTX puppies and installed them easily enough but stupid me they only pump out bass and low amounts, sounds worse than the subs.

Do i need to bypass the amp by using one of phreddys contraptions and therefore require an amp?

By the way where is the amp?

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
By the way where is the amp?

the amp is on the passenger side of the car in the boot

to get access to it you need to remove the carpet on the side wall and then you should see 4 screws, losen them and you can get the amp out, you can only adjust the gain on the standard amp heres a pic of what it should look like when you take the carpet off the side and the 4 screws.

Attachments

• P2190023.jpg
    P2190023.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 352

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
By the sounds of it the sensitivity on the 6x9's isnt as high as the subs where, so u will need to up the gains on the stock amp..

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
the factory amp is set to low pass thats why you should have gone with new 8 inch subs and yes they make them many diferent brands
youll always only get bass out fo ya 6x9s unless you replace the amp
sell ya 6x9's cover holes get real sub instead
much bassier

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Bucket - I have a feeling that the original subs which came out of there are 2 ohm impedance (someone correct me if I'm wrong though...), whereas I'm pretty certain that your new MTX units will be 4 ohm. What this means is that for the same voltage at the speaker terminals, you're only able to push half the current as wil a 2 ohm load - half the current means half the power.

You might be able to increase the gain level of your sub amp, there are several articles on how to do that.

(then again, I might be barking firmly up the wrong tree too!) ;)

Good luck with it, cheerz.

calais kid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais international
hey , wat size speakers are in the doors , wat did you replace them with ? was it a hard job? does it sound much better , and who makes good 8" subs