Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Carby conversion

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
On your project to make it work with the least amount of cash. IMHO, I see a money pit taking that aproach. I would be visiting some junk yards and see what kind of parts I can get for cheap. If the vehicle is fine, drive it until the wheels falls off.

If you can score a manual tranny that can be fitted on the 305, I see the change doable. Not a clue about you guys emission laws, that will be some that might bite you later using that Carb.

Here is another movie analogy... Apollo 13, "Fit a round filter in a squared hole, using nothing but this"

Modding stuff in the US is completely different. Cost and legals. The Apollo 13 situation suits this.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
It's already registered. I plan on driving it until it gets defected, then i'll throw the donk in something else a little more fitting. the legalities aren't my question.

better hope the defect is a cheap one ????

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Modding stuff in the US is completely different. Cost and legals.

Here is the irony and the double standard crap in the USA. VW got a huge black eye for their TDI. I can say loosly, 75% of the US does not have a Smog Check and about 40% does not even have a Safety Inspection. If you live in the center of the US, you can remove the Catalytic Converter and nobody gives 2 shits about. Unless you live in 1 state, California, they are the pollution Nazis. They want the rest of the world to live by their standards.

I think this mod is not a cost effective alternative.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It would be cheaper and easier to get another VT motor and throw that in, rather than stuff round with what you want to do....VT motors are a dime a dozen.....If you have problems locating one, send me a message and I'll put you onto a wrecking yard that has a fair few and won't ask for half your arm for it

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
just go to wreckers buy $300 motor, drop it in and be back on the road tomorrow without the cost of all the bits to make the chev work

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I would leave ecu & bcm all hooked up even most of the wiring loom so you can use factory temp sender,oil sender/fuel pump function etc just as if it still had v6 so everything on car still works.

Then just tap coil with 12v accessory to coil
Change/rewire at fuel sender to hook up external low pressure fuel pump
Add rev tacho
Fan controller if required

Once running start taking out injector wiring etc just make sure it still runs as you delete crap lol

**** It probably easier & quicker to swap another v6 than fabricate sump,engine mounts & headers lol

Ironically there are a few 202 powered vs commodores on dirt tracks

Last edited:

VtChubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
harley rocker c, HSV VE GTS
Fellas I love this side it's helped me out heaps aye but for the little sooks that spend their days saying yes sir no sir I promise mum I'll clean your barina once I put the Milo tin on I'm going to give you another angle to look at things from
At the start of the year I had full custody of my infant (I also have a 10 year old I have every weekend) now my ex wanted a visit and once she got she vanished nek minutes bullshit paperwork ensured my only chance of seeing her again is through the courts naturally all my $$$ are goin to lawyers... fast forward 248 days and many many efforts to find something to calm the beast my clubby and working on it is the best therapy I can afford with mates that listen better than any shrink and I'm now at a point where I too am going to a carby set up... so just stop before you be a nazi sometimes people ask these questions and yeah they may need engineering but their reason behind it is something that could rely on you guys imparting your knowledge to him her
Modding my car helps me keep my **** together
My mates and people on this forum have all helped I thank you and just ask to bare in mind that some people have a reason other than fuckwittery for asking advice sorry mods it's a long post just needed to open the eyes of the blind before they judge others

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Legalities and emission testing aside.
Why would you want a carby, efi shits all over it, as suggested use a throttle body injection setup.

Or convert the car to LPG, remove the entire petrol system (inc tank) with a couple of impco 425's and run whatever year engine you like without any problem.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Fellas I love this side it's helped me out heaps aye but for the little sooks that spend their days saying yes sir no sir I promise mum I'll clean your barina once I put the Milo tin on I'm going to give you another angle to look at things from
At the start of the year I had full custody of my infant (I also have a 10 year old I have every weekend) now my ex wanted a visit and once she got she vanished nek minutes bullshit paperwork ensured my only chance of seeing her again is through the courts naturally all my $$$ are goin to lawyers... fast forward 248 days and many many efforts to find something to calm the beast my clubby and working on it is the best therapy I can afford with mates that listen better than any shrink and I'm now at a point where I too am going to a carby set up... so just stop before you be a nazi sometimes people ask these questions and yeah they may need engineering but their reason behind it is something that could rely on you guys imparting your knowledge to him her
Modding my car helps me keep my **** together
My mates and people on this forum have all helped I thank you and just ask to bare in mind that some people have a reason other than fuckwittery for asking advice sorry mods it's a long post just needed to open the eyes of the blind before they judge others

I'm not having a shot at you, as I have been through the same type of ****, with kids and the court system.....I spent 2 years gaining guardianship of a child and the next 16 bloody years putting up with the birth parents **** associated with the guardianship order....Including the idiots moving to another state and trying to start proceedings in that state....

Seriously, fitting an injection system, or even a gas system will be cheaper in the long run (saves on defect money) and gives you the time with your mates and the car to get it going and less hastles in the long run with coppers and your hip pocket. And yes, it's my experience speaking with this advise

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I say, GM TBI system is better suited.