Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt catback

totof

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive olympic edition v6/3.8 sedan
hi everyone, i was wondering if someone can help, im interested in buying this Holden VT VX VY 2 5" Redback Sports CAT Back Sedan Exhaust Commodore Calais | eBay

but i have a good middle muffler walker on the car at the moment and i don't want my car to be too loud.

1. is straight rear pipe legal in victoria?
2. will this system reduce response in the accelerator pedal because there will be less compression in the exhaust?
3. if i mount only the rear straight pipe and keep my original middle muffler, will i still get a sports note from the exhaust?
4. if i mount only the middle sports muffler and keep my original rear muffler, will get a lesser sports note from the exhaust?

your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
1. No, you're supposed to retain mufflers in the original places, and stay under 90 db. That exhaust will be louder.
2. No, backpressure is bad.
3. It will be louder, but will drone at around 2000-2500 rpm, which will annoy you eventually.
4. Probably be similar to what you have now.

I would either stick with what you have now, or get a catback with middle and rear mufflers.

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
as ConstantVelocity mentioned, that system is gonna be fairly loud because it doesnt have a rear muffler, also it will drone and annoy you as well as everyone else on the road, you are best off going standard or getting something better like maybe a defillipo system?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
lol redback, OP hasn't even installed it yet and I already feel sick lol

Get a rear muffler, only V8's can pull off not having one......unless you want everyone you drive past to vomit a little, then by all means go for no rear hehe

Get something custom made with decent muffler and decent steel (not the tin-like stuff redback/lukey use)

And like others have said, to stay legal you must have the same amount of mufflers as the factory system (in your case a front and rear).

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you have a Walker muffler, then I'd say you have a standard OEM system. Any part of the Redback system in that link will not fit onto your existing system. It will be loud and drony.

I do a Manta that doesn't drone, sounds nice and deep. Has a muffler and resonator for $315 shipped. (For reference, I do the Manta without the rear resonator for $265 shipped.)

Hoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT (1999)
i have a redback with no rear muffler (only middle) and mine doesn't drone.. anyone know what causes the drone?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
i have a redback with no rear muffler (only middle) and mine doesn't drone.. anyone know what causes the drone?

is yours manual?

It's generally the auto's that cause the drone.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's in the definition of "drone". Some people don't associate the note with drone, they just think that it is the exhaust note and like it.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
hi everyone, i was wondering if someone can help, im interested in buying this Holden VT VX VY 2 5" Redback Sports CAT Back Sedan Exhaust Commodore Calais | eBay

but i have a good middle muffler walker on the car at the moment and i don't want my car to be too loud.

1. is straight rear pipe legal in victoria?
2. will this system reduce response in the accelerator pedal because there will be less compression in the exhaust?
3. if i mount only the rear straight pipe and keep my original middle muffler, will i still get a sports note from the exhaust?
4. if i mount only the middle sports muffler and keep my original rear muffler, will get a lesser sports note from the exhaust?

your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hey Mate, Trust me when i say, Not and Abba fan knows what he is talking about.
I have heard a VX (close enough to a VT) with a redback and used to have a VX with a Manta without a rear resi.
Manta sounded fantastic. Near to no drone (besides when sitting in a higher rev range before gear changes) and sounds fantastic when you plant your foot but still not too loud. If you want to tone it back a bit get the system WITH a rear resonator.
But in all, you should definitely get Manta setup. WAYYY better than Redback or Lukey.
Though it might cost a smidge more, your paying for quality and wont be let down. Plus, the price Abba is offering for that system shipped is unbeatable. Easy to install too. Happy to personally vouch for Abba & Manta exhaust in terms of reliability and quality.
"Nuff said really" ;)