Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT climate control fault (vacuum?)

tom26

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Berlina
Hi all,

I have searched all the forums for info and have decided that I have a vacuum leak, possibly in the floor/demister actuator, or a faulty vacuum solenoid pack. The aircon redirects itself to the screen when the engine is under load. I have cut the ends off the vacuum hoses at he manifold and heater valve incase they had got a bit loose, but no change.

The reason I think it may be the actator is when I select the mode to screen and feet, it does not go to the screen, but when I press defog it selects ok. All other modes are fine.

My questions are
1. does the fault diagnosis sound reasonable, particularly with the actuator?
2. Is there an easy way to change the solenoid pack? (I have a replacement item ready to go, just can't get the old one out)
3. Is there an easy way to change the actuators. I can get to one of the mounting screws, but not the one towards the middle of the car.

Any help/guidance/tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
im interested in the answer to this as well , you have to go through the glovebox dont you?

Dave88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL commodore berlina
hey yeh i have a problem with my 88 vl berlina, the fan didnt work, so i bypassed it, to a toggle switch, but now the selector from feet, face, demister, doesnt work? maybe the vacuum lines behind it are in the wrong order? does anyone have the diagram for it? or could pass me onto a link with it? or could it be the lil glass fuse underneath the glove box? was blown but didnt think it had to do with anything? cheers

Atreidae

(Was an) Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SIDI
Info for anyone searching...
I replaced the actuator.. Its a half day job full lower dash and center console out.

Havent sussed it yet

97VTSS

Hi all,

I have searched all the forums for info and have decided that I have a vacuum leak, possibly in the floor/demister actuator, or a faulty vacuum solenoid pack. The aircon redirects itself to the screen when the engine is under load. I have cut the ends off the vacuum hoses at he manifold and heater valve incase they had got a bit loose, but no change.

The reason I think it may be the actator is when I select the mode to screen and feet, it does not go to the screen, but when I press defog it selects ok. All other modes are fine.

My questions are
1. does the fault diagnosis sound reasonable, particularly with the actuator?
2. Is there an easy way to change the solenoid pack? (I have a replacement item ready to go, just can't get the old one out)
3. Is there an easy way to change the actuators. I can get to one of the mounting screws, but not the one towards the middle of the car.

Any help/guidance/tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

What year is your Berlina
Sorry didn't realize how old this thread was

Atreidae

(Was an) Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SIDI
Its a 98 I think (have bubs on my lap ATM, can't check). It's a series 1 regardless
I've checked the one way valve, the vacuum tank inside seems to hold sufficient charge..

The main feed to the vacuum tank holds vacuum for 30 seconds or so after the engine is switched off
I've swapped out the 2 stage face/demist actuator
I can't check the solenoid pack as by the feel of the screw on top. I'd have to pull the fan box out

Bit lost here. My next guess is there is a leak between the tank and manifold how log should that vacuum hang about?
Is the tank supposed to have a one way valve on it?
Would it be worth adding one?
I'm also thinking replacing it with a bigger one from aftermarket cruise control... But if I loose vacuum on the freeway this is going to be a bit pointless as I would still deplete the reserve over time.

Driving me nuts!

Atreidae

(Was an) Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SIDI