Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Climate Control (Vacuum??) Problem?

donthree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA
Yes, it contains the flaps that move to divert the air flow (face/feet/demist) They all run from the vacuum supplied from that hose. If one of the actuators has a small leak, it will spring back to resting position when no vacuum supply is present (wide open throttle). I too have done the fan speed controller, that is nothing compared to removing this beast! It's a problem that can stay a problem if that is what it's going to take to fix!

hi it does not require ac and heater box out have just fixed mine you can call me on 0417189466 regarding this i have left a post under member donthree cheers kevin

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
i too have the same vacuum problem with my vt calais. have had a vacuum pump on all of the accuators and vacuum lines anthere are no leaks. replaced the vacuum tank behind the glove box to no avail. still blows to screen when you accelerate. only thing left i can be is the vacuum bank, but to replace this you need to remove the heaterbox.(this means dash out). i'm not prepared to do that or pay a mechanic the national debt to do it. my fix is if you take off the small trim panel on the centre consol(next to drivers left leg) and remove the arm of the accuator that is right there you air cond will blow from your face vents.come winter time just put that arm back on. works for me.

donthree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA
hi guys if you look at my post you will find the answer mine was doing the same thing it was an accuator on the right side of hump, yes i replaced almost every thing SEE MY POST UNDER donthree posted it on 26th feb good luck guys 0417189466

tk55

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 vt berlina
that's the answer i was looking for, but came too late :(

tk55

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 vt berlina
my fix is if you take off the small trim panel on the centre consol(next to drivers left leg) and remove the arm of the accuator that is right there you air cond will blow from your face vents.come winter time just put that arm back on. works for me.

in my last post i was refering to this.

jaffadog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
mine does this to..the bank of vaccum solenoids under the passenger side dash has a hissing sounds coming out of it. if you put your finger behind either the very 2 right ones, the hiss stops..im gathering that its not supposed to do this and possibly the cause of the problem. i pulled the pack out and in the center of each solenoid is a tiny hole..im gathering the air or what ever is coming out of there..does anyone know if its supposed to do that and am in barking up the wrong tree...i actually put some tape over the holes and refitted and started up the car and there wasnt any hissing sound..i then found that i then had no fan..thinking i stuffed something up, i removed the tape the refitted to find still no fan..by the time i figured out that i hadnt plugged the fan back in, it was getting to late to try my tape trick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ecotec
when the air direction in car is going by itself to the demist or windscreen only;
this indicates a loss of vacum as all the system even the swith you turn for where the air goes runs off vacum.

to check this
check line on engine on
check one way valve is on (and the right way around)
TRY THIS run car at idle for one minute and turn off can you hear a slight hiss in dash either at passenger footwell or at knob for where the air goes

if at passenger floor there is a flat vacum dispenser box. this will leak or the actuator in the dash can leak AT WHERE THE flap is

if at knob then the instrument cover off and check again with it off normally is caused here by a broken tang on the switch side that lets the spring push plate away from the vacum lines

oh if you find a part hissing when you run then turn off the part or hose WILL BE shagged BUT it is normal for the knob to hiss when you change settings even when car is off!
hope this helps!~

jaffadog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Hi ssmechanicholdenbrisb, yes the hiss iss coming from the vaccum solenoid pack in the passenger foot well and you here it once you turn the car off. you can stop the hiss by puting your finger over one off the holes in the housing behind the vaccum pack( the pack has a thin piece of foam behind the soleniods which each soleniod has its own hole say about 10mm dia in the pack housing.. i gather that the pack is us and requires replacing

tk55

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 vt berlina
there's another thread with a diagram to show how those solenoids work:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...997/44547-vs-climate-control-diagonostic.html

go down to the 6th post.

the solenoids are used as vacuum switches to activate the "vacuum actuators". when you switch mode, they switch off and on. so if you block off the hole you're permanently closing that switch. if you closed the right solenoid you could "fixed" the problem but the mode won't work properly as it should.

edit: that is assuming all the other components are not leaking, ie, vacuum hoses, one-way vacuum valve, vacuum tank and 3 actuators. with my car they replaced one of the actuators as well. why don't you just use the fix above, removing the link to the face actuator? if you want to fix it properly you should replace the faulty components. someone else had tried cleaning those solenoid but didn't work. you could get lucky though.

btw shouldn't you have tested your fix first before putting all the panels back on? :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ecotec
yeah if you squeze the pack together and the hiss goes away, will most likely need something replaced.

i have seen some SHORT TERM fixes with zip ties but only lasts a couple of months. theoretically you can seal it back up with a flexible sealent but no idea how well that works...
i normally just replace the case or the rubber bit the hoses go into that goes onto the pack !~