Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT codes problem

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
Several problems with my 1997 VT series one basic exec (350k on clock with replacement engine installed a year ago)

At random times, the Oil light & chime sounds while driving. The orange engine light also comes on with the oil

light. Both go off after a while. Oil level is fine.

Cooling fan comes on high & stays on all the time after several minutes driving from cold.

This morning I drove 2 klms to the shops, came out, started car & it stalled immediately. Turned the key & no crank

at all. Lights on dash all on as normal. Wait a minute, press unlock button on key again, engine cranks & starts to again

instantly stall, followed by no cranking again.
Left car 5 minutes then all good !!

Drove home, & checked logged codes to find these

19 Throttle position sensor (sticking open)

31 Theft deterrent signal missing

48 Cam angle sensor (no signal)

92 Low speed fan fault

Code 31 has me concerned somewhat. What could that be?

Any help appreciated.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Well Code 19 is easy - I would clean the TPS first and refit it, Check the plug connector for good connection.
then reset the codes, start car and then recheck for error codes.

Code 48 - Check the earth wire that connects to the bolt holding the Cam Angle Sensor [Note: This code may have just popped up because it stalled]
(Code 48 Camshaft Position Sensor - No Signal (Received by PCM) Sensor Fault, Wiring or Connector, Note Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight)

Code 92??? I have no idea where you got that code, all of my VT Code Lists don't have 92 (but saying that my code lists may just be incomplete)

So clean the TPS first

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
Try a new battery in the key and clean the contact knob .. and check for a faulty ignition
check the low speed fan relay before for expecting the worst

TPS if you cant get it to work -- its a throw away part . around $30

Paul13pp you may need a scanner if its a module fault (thinking towards the PCM or BCM )

19 Throttle Position Sensor Sensor Jammed. Mechanical problem with Throttle Position Sensor (Broken Internal Spring)
31 Theft Deterrent System: No Signal (Anti-theft communication between PCM and BCM)
48 Camshaft Position Sensor No Signal (Received by PCM) Sensor Fault, Wiring or Connector, Note Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight
92 Low Speed Fan No Response from BCM, BCM Module, Wiring or Connector, Note Does NOT illuminate the Powertrain Checklight

jgtoranalc - what numbers do you need ...my fault code list goes from 12 -97 for a VT

Last edited: