Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore back left panel is shocking!!

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore 1993, VT Commodore 1997
My mrs just acquired a VT Commodore from my little bro, the only real issue about the car is the back left panel (passenger side) the owners before my little brother said the car had been attacked with sandpaper one night.

2012-10-27125630.jpg
2012-10-27125621.jpg

the door i aint to worried about, i can just buy a new door but am i able to just sand the rest of the panel back, mask everything that i dont want paint on, primer it and paint it and finish off with a clear coat? im curious on what is a good primer and how many coats should be done. Im sure i can get the car colour matched up as its a common colour but does anyone know a rough price on paint and how many litres would be needed for a panel?

i know how to mask up and ive sprayed a few bits and pieces but ill admit never a car panel but by looking at the condition of this panel i feel i cant make it anymore worse, ive got a spray gun and an air compressor big enough to do the panel.

any tips would be awesome.
cheers

thunder62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder ute 2006 6ltr
It looks like the door is ok sand in 240 sand paper.Then 2pak primer 3 coats. Put a guide coat.[flat black i use.]. Sand down with a blok 800 sand paper till guide coat is gone. Try not to rub thow the primer''. then reguide coat it and rub it down with 400 sandpaper. Then 3 coats of base coat and clear.Autothan or bislack is aboat the cheper one $80 a litre. About a litre of each should be plenty. I hope this helps.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
the door has a bit of mark down it at the top... but its not dented or anything

so i would just attack the whole panel and door with 240 sand paper and then do 3 coats of 2pak primer and do the guide coat and sanding method you advise and then apply the main base coat and then clear?

autothan or bislack is this a car paint brand? also mate why must the different sand paper grits etc be done when sanding? im not going to cut corners i understand it has to be done im just trying to learn the info behind it all

thunder62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder ute 2006 6ltr
Becouse of the paint damage the primer fills it .Buy you doing it this way you make it smooth; after it is sanded. The black you put on tells you any low spots.

thunder62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder ute 2006 6ltr
Becouse of the paint damage the primer fills it .Buy you doing it this way you make it smooth; after it is sanded. The black you put on tells you any low spots.Which can then be filled with quick stop putty.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so each grit of sandpaper i go through when sanding the guide coats will leave unsanded black spots because ill be using a block and they are low spots? and i just bog/putty them up, btw is this similar to puttying holes in walls or a completely different ball game?

thunder62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder ute 2006 6ltr
ok so each grit of sandpaper i go through when sanding the guide coats will leave unsanded black spots because ill be using a block and they are low spots? and i just bog/putty them up, btw is this similar to puttying holes in walls or a completely different ball game?
Yes! same in a way

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
alrighty well ill start teeing up some primer and other stuff ill need for this spray and obviously some paint should i buy some putty just incase?

btw thanks heaps youve helped me heaps.

thunder62

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz thunder ute 2006 6ltr
alrighty well ill start teeing up some primer and other stuff ill need for this spray and obviously some paint should i buy some putty just incase?

btw thanks heaps youve helped me heaps.
Yes the putty is red and in a tube 0r little tin.See a smash repairs were u are'' tell them what i said to help you . good luck with it.

thebot123

Compulsive JC User
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes the putty is red and in a tube 0r little tin.See a smash repairs were u are'' tell them what i said to help you . good luck with it.

thanks mate ill post back with some progress when i get stuck into it