Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vt commodore door

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
so ive had the issue a while now and ive tried replacing the hinge pins which didnt work and its just pissing me off now as its beginning to happen to passenger door, it seems as though its sunk from its position and has 3 spots when opening in which it clunks nto making a loud crack.

now i was told to place a jack under the door with it only slightly open as the arm dropped in time and had to be adjusted or something like that which didnt work either.

in addition to this more water has been getting in as a result and very slight rust has appeared on the bottom edge of the door, how can i get rid of it before it becomes a problem?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sounds like you need new check straps.

mitsuko

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
Make sure pins are tight and level

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
I'll have a look at the check strap, what is involved in changing them? A matter of pulling the interior off, supporting te door and a few bolts or?
When I changed the pins I took note that the top one was almost out so Id say it contributed to whatever has faulted now, but they are very right and level, made sure there was no movement when replacing to avoid bending.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, door trim off, two bolts and a pin and that's about it if I remember correctly.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i had the same problem

the 2 10mm nuts for the check strap in the door become loose, tighten them and the clicking will go away

Newbe-car

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore series 2 2000 modle
Hi guys have kinda problem with my vt s2. the check stap had broken on my vt and now that I have noticed it I have got a new one but now I see that the weld for the hinge ha started to brake can ny one tell me it is ok to get. A weilder or someone to reworks it bak onto the body .

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys have kinda problem with my vt s2. the check stap had broken on my vt and now that I have noticed it I have got a new one but now I see that the weld for the hinge ha started to brake can ny one tell me it is ok to get. A weilder or someone to reworks it bak onto the body .

I would be asking a panel beater.

commodore guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 berlina vt
to take doors off just take the door trim off, leave the 2 screws attatched from the door to the body in, take them off once u got the pins out. i put a jack under boths ends of the door the take off any tension, i than clamp the bottom of the pin with multi grips and get a phillips head onto it with a hammer they should come out. just remember when puting them back in dont just smash em through till they dont go any further or ur door will make anoying sounds again. check ur other doors to see how far the pins through

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
There is a cheapish kit which removes door hinge pins very well and when installing new hinge pins, just tap them in with the removal bar placed against the side of the flange on the end of the pin. Tap the pin in until the flange is almost touching the removal bar. Remember that the bottom pin goes in with the flange at the top and the top pin goes in with the flange at the bottom. Placing the tool on the side of the pin on re-install just ensures that if the job has to be done again later, the tool can be fitted under the flange. A bit windy but I could not explain it any better with less words.:)